Is my crab dying?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Lephantome92

Is my crab dying?

Post by Lephantome92 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:23 am

I have a straw that's being rather sluggish it seems. Any time i check out the tat, she's in the salt water dish. I took her out of the water to change it, and she barely moved more than turning a bit. This morning i put her right next to the coconut oil so she can eat, but she just sat there. I have 3 other straws, 2 of which are fairly active while the other loves digging and is rarely up, if it is relevant. Temps are mid to high 80s during the day and 75-80 at night with high humidity. This is the same crab who was bullied out of what turned out to be a bad shell a while back, so is this a form of pps, or is it likely her personality?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is my crab dying?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:33 am

You have only had them for a short while yes? She cpuld be preparing for a moult. Id keep an eye regardless and continue offering foods full of minerals ans vitamins

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 am

aussieJJDude wrote:You have only had them for a short while yes? She cpuld be preparing for a moult. Id keep an eye regardless and continue offering foods full of minerals ans vitamins

Current foods include broccoli, carrots, freeze dried shrimp, calcium, approved pellets, coconut oil, and molasses. Is that varied enough, or should i offer more? Also, is it possible she's molting even though her exo is kinda vibrant still?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Try and provide more protein options to prevent canabalism- dried crickets, mealworms, krill, bloodworms, etc. she wouldn't be molting but she could be preparing for a molt- when she is molting she will dig under the sun and stay for weeks-months depending on her size. How deep is your sub and what do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Try and provide more protein options to prevent canabalism- dried crickets, mealworms, krill, bloodworms, etc. she wouldn't be molting but she could be preparing for a molt- when she is molting she will dig under the sun and stay for weeks-months depending on her size. How deep is your sub and what do you use?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Sounds to me like he/she could be preparing to molt. Just a reminder, you need to provide a lot of color enhancing foods for the straws to keep their vibrancy. Straws do like the saltwater, so I don't think that is odd behavior (I have 4 of them). I would provide your straw with some organic raw honey as well. During this time, I would encourage you to not handle him/her. Keep the stress level down :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 pm

@Hermiearth i have about 10ish inches of cocoa fiber, and my largest crab is smaller than 3 inches

@GotButterflies *insert profanities to myself* I'm moving Sunday :x I hope everyone is at least not vulnerable before next week! It's 15 minutes away and I'm actually moving in with someone. Do i try and move the crabs before Sunday or wait?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 pm

That's certainly a conundrum☹️ here's what I would do/ have done while switching tanks. First off hold off as long as possible, you definitely don't want to disturb a molt if possible (straws are particularly fragile I believe). Can you maybe setup a small temporary tank in your new residence to move the crabs to as they come up? If you can set up this other tank, after it is setup I would set a crab "trap." Here's how: get a smallish kitchen bowl, dig a small hole in the sub (carefully) and put it deep enough so if a crab was trying to climb in it could. Next take out all other food sources in the crabitat and put your crabs favorite treat (something smelly works best) in the bowl. Hopefully, any crabs that come up climb in, and you'll find them in the morning and can switch them over ;)

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:49 pm

I can potentially keep the temp right, but i don't have a closed tank that i can keep the humidity up. How big does the bowl have to be? I have cereal bowls that are 6 inches across and 2 inches deep or so with a45 degree incline, or bowls that are almost vertical on the side, among other sizes

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:48 am

Basically big enough so once they get in they cant get out, potentually by climbing up on another. 4 inches would be a min if i had to chose

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:21 am

Good luck!!! Maybe even check out the dollar store and buy a cheap one that will work?

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

Thank you, the trick is just making sure to have a bowl that the pitch of the walls is steep enough to stop anyone from leaving. If i put a 1 gallon tank inside the full setup for holding, and start catching crabs tonight or tomorrow night, would that cause excess emotional trauma and fighting? That would be the easiest way for me to have a stable environment until the move

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

Thank you, the trick is just making sure to have a bowl that the pitch of the walls is steep enough to stop anyone from leaving. If i put a 1 gallon tank inside the full setup for holding, and start catching crabs tonight or tomorrow night, would that cause excess emotional trauma and fighting? That would be the easiest way for me to have a stable environment until the move

Edit: Can confirm she's molting, she's moved around a bit and her eyes are cloudy. I just wish this wasn't happening right as i was moving, but i guess it was inevitable to have at least one molting. Do some crabs wait till the last minute to start digging like she seems to be, or is it possible she's going for a surface molt and i should empty a 2 liter bottle ASAP?

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:00 pm

So what happened to him? Did he surface molt?

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:51 pm

She did indeed surface molt, but it went poorly. I posted a topic asking for help and got lots of advice that i heeded fully, but she passed. If you're interested, here is the topic