Pest Control Dangerous to Crabs?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
penny4309

Pest Control Dangerous to Crabs?

Post by penny4309 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:01 am

We've had our seven crabs for some time. We got the oldest four in 2008 and three rescues since then. We love them!

And we don't want to kill them with pesticides!

We just moved into a new condo and discovered that there are German cockroaches. We can't let it get out of hand. I am also allergic to them.

We are going to call a professional exterminator, but wanted some knowledge before I call.

What type of cockroach treatment/control would be safe for the crabs?

In the four years at our old apartment, I didn't catch the pest control a couple times before they sprayed the baseboards on the kitchen. But this would be a bigger treatment.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and advice!

soilentgringa

Re: Pest Control Dangerous to Crabs?

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:38 am

Hi! Welcome to HCA. I had this issue last year when the apartment building I live in caught fire and a torrent of German roaches invaded me.
Anything that kills insects is potentially deadly to the hermit crabs.
You can wrap the tank in plastic before the treatment, like saran wrap or duct taping trashbags over and around it, making sure it is well sealed just for the duration. Of course if they are going to be bombing or fogging you will want to maybe take the entire tank to a friend or relative's house.
You may also consider alternatives such as diatomaceous earth or boric acid mixtures.
I mixed boric acid (wrap a bandanna around your face or wear a mask) with peanut butter, some white sugar, and honey and applied a tiny bit above every door, underneath the shelves in my cabinets, dabbed a bit on all the pipes under sinks, between/behind the stove and fridge, and took the faceplates off the light sockets and ac vents and placed it there as well. Within a week I had 100's of bodies.
Diatomaceous earth is organic, safe, and works by cutting the insects exoskeleton to bits and dehydrating them. You can buy bags of food safe diatomaceous earth online or check Home Depot or Lowe's or a farm supply store. It is safe to apply directly to dogs and cats for flea control as well, just wear a mask.
Apply vaseline under the rims all the way around the lip of the tank to keep them from crawling in the tank as well. We had a tote habitat set up and weren't using it and when I opened it to check the sub, thousands of roaches swarmed out as they had been hiding out in there!!!
I will try to find the other threads where roach control was discussed and link them below.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:40 am

viewtopic.php?t=103521

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:40 am

viewtopic.php?t=102321

Topic author
penny4309

Post by penny4309 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks for replying so quickly!

We are definitely not going to fog and will try to avoid spray unless the problem gets bad. We just got the 40 gallon breeder and foot of sand set up in the new place. Would hate to move everything and stress the crabs out again.

Fantastic to know about the vaseline! Roaches can't walk over it? If so then I am comfortable putting bait, gel (and the diatomaceous earth) if the roaches couldn't carry it into the crabitat! I was worried poison would be carried in by some roach looking for the food in the tank.

If you confirm the vaseline working like this (just want to be sure), we'll start on the non-spray methods.

Topic author
penny4309

Post by penny4309 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:26 am

One more quick question. If diatomaceous earth cuts the insects exoskeletons, could it also do this to crabs (somewhat negated if the vaseline keeps roaches out, but still very good knowledge to have).

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:30 pm

penny4309 wrote:One more quick question. If diatomaceous earth cuts the insects exoskeletons, could it also do this to crabs (somewhat negated if the vaseline keeps roaches out, but still very good knowledge to have).
You would lightly dust the diatomaceous earth in places that the crabs wouldn't be, like behind the electrical outlet faceplates, by baseboards, behind your stove and fridge, etc. Just don't put it directly in or next to the crab tank and you should be okay.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Vaseline does work - you want an even layer at least one inch wide, more like two for safety. Don't make it super thick or it'll slide off in chunks if it's warm. Make sure it's a complete unbroken ring. For clean up, wipe off as much as possible with paper towels, and use a good quality dishsoap like Dawn and hot water to suds off the rest of the grease. (Use paper towels for washing, and change them a few times.) Rubbing alcohol can be used to clean up any small spots that might get missed. I keep exotic cockroaches as pets and feeders, and this keeps them where they're supposed to be.

Glue traps are also marvelous for roaches. Dropped a container of them once. The glue traps got them before they got into the rest of the house.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
penny4309

Post by penny4309 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 am

Bad news. Our landlady sent Orkin out! The exterminator sprayed in the kitchen, bathroom, and near the doors (whatever he sprayed has a very strong odor and almost taste)!

The crabs' tank was covered with a beach towel, but otherwise there were no precautions.

Now we have a HEPA filter running near their cage and the windows in the room open.

And I am totally freaked out and worried that the crabs are going to die now!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:04 pm

She didn't give you any notice?!? :shock:

Topic author
penny4309

Post by penny4309 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Opinions. .. If the crabs don't die, should we clean or the row out all their supplies (wood, etc) that is stored around their tank? Clean out their humidity/air regulator?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Mine use Terminix and never gave notice either so I went to the office and explained that pesticides would kill my crabs, so they don't come in my apartment any more. I would just clean everything really well and wope down the outside of the tank.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:59 pm

I agree with Soilentgringa on cleaning those items really well.

It's been a while since I rented and it probably varies area to area, but back then they had to give me a minimum of 24 hours notice before entering my apartment. Even for the exterminators to come in, which they did regularly.

Topic author
penny4309

Post by penny4309 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm

I never came back and updated! All seven crabs are alive, healthy and happy.

Other than the one visit from the Orkin man, we took care of the problem ourselves with non-aerosal gels and baits. Roaches gone, crabs happy.

Thank you everyone for your advice. :-)

Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:18 am

Sorry for the partial necrobump, but it seemed silly to make a new topic. If the exterminator does spray, how long should i keep my crabs out of the room? Or does press and seal do enough that i can just move them out of the way?