tank decor

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

tank decor

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 pm

I recently attached to the back of my tank a scenic aquarium background. Will my guys think it's real and be disappointed when they can't climb on it or reach it?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

DaJimmer

Re: tank decor

Post by DaJimmer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:01 pm

I think they may just feel a little more comfortable like not as out in the open or naked. I was debating the same thing I haven't added a background yet but I did add another plastic plant and I may add one more hide spot. I want them to feel like they are well hidden inside or under a bush or something. Like every spot is well hidden. like the sky is not glaring at them. Evil Birds. Be sure to add the ladders or netting or plastic plants that they CAN climb on they do like to climb
-Jimmer

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 pm

DaJimmer wrote:I think they may just feel a little more comfortable like not as out in the open or naked. I was debating the same thing I haven't added a background yet but I did add another plastic plant and I may add one more hide spot. I want them to feel like they are well hidden inside or under a bush or something. Like every spot is well hidden. like the sky is not glaring at them. Evil Birds. Be sure to add the ladders or netting or plastic plants that they CAN climb on they do like to climb
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought about the background. It makes sense. And yes, I have several things they can climb on but I haven't seen them climb at all yet.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:59 am

Lots of people have backgrounds on their tanks. :) It will definitely make your hermits feel more secure.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 pm

I agree with GB! If you're worried about them wanting to climb it, attach some fish net (single layered) around the the back glass.

Edited to add pic...
Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:41 am

Unfortunately I ended up taking down the background. The heater I'm using can't be insulated so I was scared to put the background behind it. But I did add more plants.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Wow daws, beautiful setup! Are those plants real?

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:18 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Wow daws, beautiful setup! Are those plants real?
Thanks! That's the most recent tank, a 125G with 40B topper. I also have two more - a 120G Bamboo tank with extra 60-75G topper space, and a 29G... Plants aren't real lol. Most are from hobby lobby. The limbs/branches are real tho! I have mopani, grape wood, dog wood, oak, and some cholla.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm

Where in the store do you find those plants? I am looking for plants like those, might just need some!

Fanatic
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:21 am

Fanatic wrote:Where in the store do you find those plants? I am looking for plants like those, might just need some!

Fanatic
In my store, they're found in the floral section by the vines and such. They're not kept with the flowers. Hope that makes sense!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:38 pm

I’m thinking about adding a background to our tank too. So u can put the background on then the heating pad on top? I️ have an ultratherm heating pad. I️ was always concerned of possible fire risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 am

daws409 wrote:
ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Wow daws, beautiful setup! Are those plants real?
Thanks! That's the most recent tank, a 125G with 40B topper. I also have two more - a 120G Bamboo tank with extra 60-75G topper space, and a 29G... Plants aren't real lol. Most are from hobby lobby. The limbs/branches are real tho! I have mopani, grape wood, dog wood, oak, and some cholla.

How do you set a smaller tank on top of a larger tank? My crabitat is a 40b. I do have a 15gal. And in a perfect world I could set it up as a 2nd floor.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
daws409 wrote: Thanks! That's the most recent tank, a 125G with 40B topper. I also have two more - a 120G Bamboo tank with extra 60-75G topper space, and a 29G... Plants aren't real lol. Most are from hobby lobby. The limbs/branches are real tho! I have mopani, grape wood, dog wood, oak, and some cholla.

How do you set a smaller tank on top of a larger tank? My crabitat is a 40b. I do have a 15gal. And in a perfect world I could set it up as a 2nd floor.

The width of my tanks match (both 18 inches) and the 40B just so happens to be exactly half of my base tank (72x18x22 base and 36x18x16 topper)... I just busted the bottom glass out of topper, set it on base tank, and duct taped it together so it doesn't move...

It's easier if the topper matches the width of the base tank so the rims (at least 3 sides - front, back, and outer edge) line up. Then you have to modify the 4th side (other edge) so you have no potential escapee's... Make sense?

Edit: busting the bottom out of topper is for easier access to the base tank

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:33 pm

daws409 wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:
daws409 wrote: Thanks! That's the most recent tank, a 125G with 40B topper. I also have two more - a 120G Bamboo tank with extra 60-75G topper space, and a 29G... Plants aren't real lol. Most are from hobby lobby. The limbs/branches are real tho! I have mopani, grape wood, dog wood, oak, and some cholla.

The width of my tanks match (both 18 inches) and the 40B just so happens to be exactly half of my base tank (72x18x22 base and 36x18x16 topper)... I just busted the bottom glass out of topper, set it on base tank, and duct taped it together so it doesn't move...

It's easier if the topper matches the width of the base tank so the rims (at least 3 sides - front, back, and outer edge) line up. Then you have to modify the 4th side (other edge) so you have no potential escapee's... Make sense?

Edit: busting the bottom out of topper is for easier access to the base tank

Actually doesn't sound THAT difficult. Hard to imagine that duct tape can hold them together.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
daws409 wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:CUT
CUT
Actually doesn't sound THAT difficult. Hard to imagine that duct tape can hold them together.
Ya know, I thought the same thing especially having several jumbo's in this tank. I've tried myself to shove/move it and it doesn't give. But I guess the weight of the tank itself (or what's left of it lol) helps... If you're unsure, you could always use Velcro.