Any recommendations?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Fledgling

Any recommendations?

Post by Fledgling » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:28 am

So my largest crab Speedy is getting way too big for his shell. I adopted about 7 months ago and he's molted once. I've ordered and offered bigger shells to him (1" and a little larger) and although he has tried them on, he always hops back into his old shell. He can no longer retract fully into the shell. He can hide his head but all of his walking legs hang out quite far.

After everything I've tried I've come to the conclusion that he prefers shells that are on the lighter side. In other words, he's too lazy for a heavier shell. Does anyone have any recommendations for large, light shells? That won't make my bank account cry? Shell type and where to order would be great.

Additional info: I have primarily turbos and 1 large murex. I have a feeling that he'd like to update since he usually pushes my other crabs out of the way when I put new shells into the tank. He's also the most dominant crab of the 3, so I'd like to give him plenty of options to prevent bullying.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Any recommendations?

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 am

All of mine are in Tapestry and Fluctuosus, up to about 1 & 1/8. Normal turbos do not grow larger. And the crabs stop there. They have larger options available but even when we think the shells are too small, they are just right for them.

In the wild pica only grow so large, and the crabs will grow to were their legs hang out, even in the largest shells available. It's why they are built like tanks! Exposed legs are normal, it's not a sign something is wrong.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 am

Fledgling wrote:So my largest crab Speedy is getting way too big for his shell. I adopted about 7 months ago and he's molted once. I've ordered and offered bigger shells to him (1" and a little larger) and although he has tried them on, he always hops back into his old shell. He can no longer retract fully into the shell. He can hide his head but all of his walking legs hang out quite far.

After everything I've tried I've come to the conclusion that he prefers shells that are on the lighter side. In other words, he's too lazy for a heavier shell. Does anyone have any recommendations for large, light shells? That won't make my bank account cry? Shell type and where to order would be great.

Additional info: I have primarily turbos and 1 large murex. I have a feeling that he'd like to update since he usually pushes my other crabs out of the way when I put new shells into the tank. He's also the most dominant crab of the 3, so I'd like to give him plenty of options to prevent bullying.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Can I recommend a man to you? He has worked with me in a different way ordering shells. You can find him on Facebook listed as Hotel Crabifornia. I suggest messaging him and explain exactly as you just did. He usually responds in the same day. His name is Steven Hoang. I usually get my shells in a couple days, shipping is super reasonable.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 am

My biggest crab is probably a large, and he's in an apple snail shell. I stumbled across mine at Petco or Petsmart, but they have a pack on Amazon for $11.99. Here's the link, if you'd like to look. :) https://www.amazon.com/PEPPERLONELY-*** ... 67&sr=8-42
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:18 pm

My two crabs prefer thick shells with a lot of room to grow. Like, I have one crab that will only wear gold mouth shells and will not wear tapestry turbos even though I have those in the tank. I would also recommend Shells of Aquarius on the shopping resources section. You can get shells either right at 1 inch or under 1 inch for a $1.15. My spotted turbo was a little over $1. They're very cheap.