Pools

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Pools

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 pm

My pools aren't the deepest, but I think they're deep enough, though. Sheldon is molting, so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure he could submerge in them, or very close to it. The only problem is Peanut. He's little and the pools are too deep for him. I have the bottom lined with rocks, but they're a hassle for me to clean, and also make it so Peanut can get out, but neither crab can submerge, yikes!

I've heard about the wonders of craft mesh, and I want to make a ramp. I know I have some around here, but it's gone missing. :lol: I'm still going to make a ramp after I find it, but is there anything else I could do for now? I don't really have any plastic plants to use, unfortunately. Could I put moss in the water? Would that help?

Also, side note. I just got a bag of chia seeds, and I'm hoping to make a little chia garden. :D For those who grow chia seeds in your tank, how long do they usually take to sprout, and do they grow better in EE than sand?

Thanks, everybody. :D
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Pools

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Moonlightdreams wrote:My pools aren't the deepest, but I think they're deep enough, though. Sheldon is molting, so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure he could submerge in them, or very close to it. The only problem is Peanut. He's little and the pools are too deep for him. I have the bottom lined with rocks, but they're a hassle for me to clean, and also make it so Peanut can get out, but neither crab can submerge, yikes!

I've heard about the wonders of craft mesh, and I want to make a ramp. I know I have some around here, but it's gone missing. :lol: I'm still going to make a ramp after I find it, but is there anything else I could do for now? I don't really have any plastic plants to use, unfortunately. Could I put moss in the water? Would that help?

Also, side note. I just got a bag of chia seeds, and I'm hoping to make a little chia garden. :D For those who grow chia seeds in your tank, how long do they usually take to sprout, and do they grow better in EE than sand?

Do you have any burlap? Maybe line a couple of the sides.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Moonlightdreams wrote:My pools aren't the deepest, but I think they're deep enough, though. Sheldon is molting, so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure he could submerge in them, or very close to it. The only problem is Peanut. He's little and the pools are too deep for him. I have the bottom lined with rocks, but they're a hassle for me to clean, and also make it so Peanut can get out, but neither crab can submerge, yikes!

I think so. I also have jute. I could try making a net, maybe.
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

leah610

Post by leah610 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 pm

Moonlightdreams wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:

I think so. I also have jute. I could try making a net, maybe.
I think using a net would only wick water out onto the sub, and might get a little messy. Could you possibly put a single rock or shell inside that won't take up the entire pool? So that both crabs submerge and still get out? Also, I grow chia in my tank. I don't know how well they grow in comparison to EE and sand (my sub is a mix of the two) but they usually take what feels like ages to sprout. If I'm lucky, they sprout in a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:41 am

leah610 wrote: I think using a net would only wick water out onto the sub, and might get a little messy. Could you possibly put a single rock or shell inside that won't take up the entire pool? So that both crabs submerge and still get out? Also, I grow chia in my tank. I don't know how well they grow in comparison to EE and sand (my sub is a mix of the two) but they usually take what feels like ages to sprout. If I'm lucky, they sprout in a week or two.

Ooh, I could try using a rock or shell. Thanks! :D Would any old rock do? I have quite a few lying around. Good to know about the chia, thanks!

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Driftwood is safe, right? I just found a piece I could use for my pools.

Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Yes driftwood is fine :)

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Ooh, wait! Would plastic Easter eggs be safe? They're dyed, not painted. If I could poke a few holes in them, they would make a nice little crabby island. :wink:

Thanks, Angel. :D I'll go ahead and use it until I know about the eggs.

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 am

I got it figured out, thanks, everyone. I might post pictures later. :D

Also, I have two baby chia sprouts already, and I just planted them last Thursday! I sprinkled more in there, now that I know they'll grow. Yay. :crabbigsmile:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:52 am

Fabric would definitely wick water onto the sub. I wouldn't recommend that. Driftwood could leach into the water, changing the color of the water. Make sure the driftwood is safe. I would't recommend moss - it could break down and deteriorate the water quality.

Wouldn't a plastic Easter egg roll?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 am

GotButterflies wrote:Fabric would definitely wick water onto the sub. I wouldn't recommend that. Driftwood could leach into the water, changing the color of the water. Make sure the driftwood is safe. I would't recommend moss - it could break down and deteriorate the water quality.

Wouldn't a plastic Easter egg roll?
The driftwood has been doing good so far. :)

I meant half of an egg, not the whole thing. It would have a flat bottom, so it wouldn't roll, but I'd have to weigh it down or it would probably flip. I figured it out, though. :D