What is your dream pet to own?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is your dream pet to own?

Post by curlysister » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:40 pm

I would love to have a lop rabbit! My niece has one, it's so cute!

Or a long-haired guinea pig, one with crazy Elvis hair!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:03 am

Just a huge reminder that anyone seriously considering a new pet in the future should do research using groups dedicated to the care and humane treatment of that species - NOT the store or breeder selling them. Y'all found us because you knew something was off about how you were told to take care of your hermit! The same thing is true for all pets minus cats and dogs. Hamsters, fish, guinea pigs, rabbits (especially rabbits in my area), reptiles - they ALL have tons of myths, misinformation, and bad advice to make them seem easier and less expensive then they really are. Find a rehabber or rescue, even if you aren't going to adopt they will often be thrilled you're asking quesrions and will make sure you start with proper information!

A bit more on topic, baby scorpions are da bomb. :D I have around 40 right now and they are so cute that first year!! By the second they just look like mini-mom and dad but they are still tiny and act so fierce.

I feel blessed that my hubby is so supportive and I have checked some dream animals off, mostly through rescue but a few through buying.

Hermits were actually the big one I had wanted the most after we moved in together, and our first pet other than cats and fish. That was 20 years of waiting!

I got to rehab a chameleon which was awesome but ultimately not a pet for me since they need to be fed in the morning and I am totally a night person. They sleep after dark, something I hadn't realized before. It was still an amazing experiance and an amazing species!

In the fall I got a Kenyan Sand Boa, which is the snake I had been drooling over the longest. There were babies and there was a cute one and my hubby did not say no for some reason.

We are upgrading our 20 gallon fish tank to a 40, and getting a huge colony of kuhli loaches to go with my already large colony. I have been wanting to do this since I got my first in 2004!

In the past month we ended up with three rescued water turtles, which is thrilling. I love turtles, there is something so fun about them. :) I thought I'd have to wait a lot longer but then these three ended up in my lap and it was all Yay!!!

I think my last one is African Giant Millipedes, and I don't know if or when that may happen. They have become very hard to find in the US and the ones that go up for sale are pricey, and it takes a few to start a colony that will be able to maintain itself over time. I held one once when I was 1p and I was hooked!

Oooohhh. And not that I could have them because I am deadly allergic now, but Rhinoceros Roaches from Australia. They are HUGE and in the US they are $300 to $500 each. Just massive insects that are gorgeously huge and are actually pretty easy to keep but do require a specialty diet. The reason they cost so much is because they breed so incredibly slowly and cannot be exported.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 am

curlysister wrote:I would love to have a lop rabbit! My niece has one, it's so cute!

Or a long-haired guinea pig, one with crazy Elvis hair!
Naww lop rabbits are so cute! My friend owns a guinea pig, and they are adorable (especially the long haired ones) :)

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:44 am

wodesorel wrote:Just a huge reminder that anyone seriously considering a new pet in the future should do research using groups dedicated to the care and humane treatment of that species - NOT the store or breeder selling them. Y'all found us because you knew something was off about how you were told to take care of your hermit! The same thing is true for all pets minus cats and dogs. Hamsters, fish, guinea pigs, rabbits (especially rabbits in my area), reptiles - they ALL have tons of myths, misinformation, and bad advice to make them seem easier and less expensive then they really are. Find a rehabber or rescue, even if you aren't going to adopt they will often be thrilled you're asking quesrions and will make sure you start with proper information!

A bit more on topic, baby scorpions are da bomb. :D I have around 40 right now and they are so cute that first year!! By the second they just look like mini-mom and dad but they are still tiny and act so fierce.

I feel blessed that my hubby is so supportive and I have checked some dream animals off, mostly through rescue but a few through buying.

Hermits were actually the big one I had wanted the most after we moved in together, and our first pet other than cats and fish. That was 20 years of waiting!

I got to rehab a chameleon which was awesome but ultimately not a pet for me since they need to be fed in the morning and I am totally a night person. They sleep after dark, something I hadn't realized before. It was still an amazing experiance and an amazing species!

In the fall I got a Kenyan Sand Boa, which is the snake I had been drooling over the longest. There were babies and there was a cute one and my hubby did not say no for some reason.

We are upgrading our 20 gallon fish tank to a 40, and getting a huge colony of kuhli loaches to go with my already large colony. I have been wanting to do this since I got my first in 2004!

In the past month we ended up with three rescued water turtles, which is thrilling. I love turtles, there is something so fun about them. :) I thought I'd have to wait a lot longer but then these three ended up in my lap and it was all Yay!!!

I think my last one is African Giant Millipedes, and I don't know if or when that may happen. They have become very hard to find in the US and the ones that go up for sale are pricey, and it takes a few to start a colony that will be able to maintain itself over time. I held one once when I was 1p and I was hooked!

Oooohhh. And not that I could have them because I am deadly allergic now, but Rhinoceros Roaches from Australia. They are HUGE and in the US they are $300 to $500 each. Just massive insects that are gorgeously huge and are actually pretty easy to keep but do require a specialty diet. The reason they cost so much is because they breed so incredibly slowly and cannot be exported.
Wow you have so many cool pets!! A pet store that I go to quite often (one that looks after and treats the animals with love and care) seasonally has baby scorpions for sale, and they are so cute because they’re so teeny tiny! I’ve considered getting a scorpion, but I’m tossing up wether I’ll get a tarantula, python or scorpion.

I always remembered seeing hermit crabs in painted shells at the shopping centre pet shops when I was younger, but was always scared of them thinking they would pinch me. Once I realised for myself just how fascinating and friendly hermies are, I couldn’t imagine a life without owning them!

Chameleons are super cool pets, but I have heard that they have a lot of special housing requirements like high humidity ect - plus chameleons in Australia are very expensive. You were so lucky to have been able to look after one!

I adore Kenyan Sand Boas, but Australian reptile restrictions is what’s stopping me from owning one. I love their colouring and their docile temperament.

Congratulations on the tank upgrade and the new kuhli loaches!

Aww turtles are so cute! I find it quite relaxing to be able to watch them swimming around in their tank. I don’t own a turtle, but I love watching them swimming around at the reptile store that I go to.

Giant millipedes are awesome! I’m used to the little ones that I find scurrying around in my backyard!

I’ve never seen a rhinoceros roach before, but I had a look on google and they look really cool!

Also, I totally agree with you about doing your research before rescuing or purchasing a pet. Research is very important in being able to provide the best life possible for any pet :)

SunnyKrab
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by SunnyKrab » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:17 am

I would love to own a Tegu.I don't have the space for one now, but maybe someday....
Blog link->Veggie My Love
Started - 6/21/2003 9 Assorted Hermies!!~~RIP Crew

Persea

Post by Persea » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:41 pm

I would like....all the crabs. Specifically, I'd like to have a whole room someday with my hermies in one large area, and then separate areas for fiddler crabs, vampire crabs, and soapdish crabs. I'd also like to take a crack at keeping blue crabs (like the ones people eat!) too!

For right now, though, I want to get the best possible setup for the hermits I do have....the rest of the crabs are a far-off dream. Even if I am saving up money to insulate and re-do the spare bedroom into a crab-only room.

And maybe a few more isopod colonies.

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:06 am

SunnyKrab wrote:I would love to own a Tegu.I don't have the space for one now, but maybe someday....
I’d love to own a Tegu one day as well! Although, unfortunately it will be impossible for me to own one because Tegu’s aren’t legal in Australia - the closest lizard to a Tegu that I could own would be a Lace Monitor :)

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:11 am

Persea wrote:I would like....all the crabs. Specifically, I'd like to have a whole room someday with my hermies in one large area, and then separate areas for fiddler crabs, vampire crabs, and soapdish crabs. I'd also like to take a crack at keeping blue crabs (like the ones people eat!) too!

For right now, though, I want to get the best possible setup for the hermits I do have....the rest of the crabs are a far-off dream. Even if I am saving up money to insulate and re-do the spare bedroom into a crab-only room.

And maybe a few more isopod colonies.
Sounds like a great plan! I’ve always wanted a spare room to be able to house all my animals tanks - and also hopefully adopting some more cats in the future too :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:19 am

@Persea, I understand what you mean. I've recently fallen in love with the Australian native crabs we have, and constantly on the lookout in the local stores for one... If I do find one, its comming home with me!
(Holthuisana sp. Mostly, but also the 'Australian Micro crabs, Amarinus lacustris or A. Laevis....)
I've really fallen head over heals for many aquatic creatures lately, my planted tank enthusiasm is really kicking in....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Late to the party, but just for fun:

Like wode, I'd love a giant millipede at some point.

Keeping rope fish or birchir would be amazing too... I love all the eel-y looking aquatic kiddies. And I dream of getting into dwarf cichlids in a serious way some day.

I looked into cuttlefish, but decided they weren't a great fit for me (or my partner, since they've short life spans, and he was inconsolable when his apple snail died. A cuttlefish is like, a million times cuter than a snail, but can hit senescence at as little as six months depending on the species).

A legless lizard (or glass lizard) would be amazing. And blue tongued skinks just seem so charming...

But my number one, ideal pet - and the animal I'm least likely to be able to get for a long time is....

Just a dog. I know, boring, right? But I'm just not home enough to have one. Sigh. :?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:25 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Late to the party, but just for fun:

Like wode, I'd love a giant millipede at some point.

Keeping rope fish or birchir would be amazing too... I love all the eel-y looking aquatic kiddies. And I dream of getting into dwarf cichlids in a serious way some day.

I looked into cuttlefish, but decided they weren't a great fit for me (or my partner, since they've short life spans, and he was inconsolable when his apple snail died. A cuttlefish is like, a million times cuter than a snail, but can hit senescence at as little as six months depending on the species).

A legless lizard (or glass lizard) would be amazing. And blue tongued skinks just seem so charming...

But my number one, ideal pet - and the animal I'm least likely to be able to get for a long time is....

Just a dog. I know, boring, right? But I'm just not home enough to have one. Sigh. :?
Dogs are great. :D I hope you can get one soon! I travel back and forth a lot and can be gone anywhere from an hour to a week, and my puppies are pretty good by themselves. They were a little crazy when they were younger, but they're fully grown now and pretty good when we're gone.
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Ankutchey

Post by Ankutchey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:01 pm

I'd probably like to get a crested gecko or two in the future! They are the cutest things!

Plus we already have two cats and a dog! The furbabies rule the roost

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have five PPs: Smoky, Albert, Stuart, Rocky, and Jax
Two Cats: Sherlock and Snowball
One Dog: Serana

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:50 pm

LJJ, I have always wanted a dog as well, but my allergies are through the roof (woof?) to them and I haven't wanted to risk it. I once broke out in head to toe hives from the dog manager walking a Shiba Inu past my office door to show me how adorable it was. (No regrets!) My husband sends me pictures of the most squeeable foster puppies they have as well. It's torture!

My first fish was actually a rope fish. The idiot at Pet Supplies Plus told me it would be great for my 5-gallon tank. :rolleyes: I got it home, realized how big it was, got my shoes on and came back to find it on the floor(!) and was back at the store before closing. Yeah... Things that shaped my intense hatred of the commercial pet trade. Go with black kuhlis. They are awesome and eel-like and live for two decades and I am sitting here watching them do their happy loopity-loop dance as I type.

Ankutchey, get you some cresteds! They are seriously the easiest of the geckos to care for. They need it cool (under 80 degrees) so no heating needed, and the best possible meals come powdered (Repashy or Pangea) as their diets are pretty specific in the wild. They don't eat or poop much either so care is a breeze. All you really have to do is get them a tall tank as they feel safest up high and are very active at night. I adopted mine for I think $30 from a reptile rescue, he was found on a sidewalk in Northern Ohio. (Given how quick he is to slip out the door when I am cleaning I can see how it happened! Most are not this bad.) I see them all the time in local classifieds being rehomed as well, I think people get bored because they sleep all day. They are a lot like hermits in that way.

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Ankutchey

Post by Ankutchey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:26 pm

wodesorel wrote:LJJ, I have always wanted a dog as well, but my allergies are through the roof (woof?) to them and I haven't wanted to risk it. I once broke out in head to toe hives from the dog manager walking a Shiba Inu past my office door to show me how adorable it was. (No regrets!) My husband sends me pictures of the most squeeable foster puppies they have as well. It's torture!

My first fish was actually a rope fish. The idiot at Pet Supplies Plus told me it would be great for my 5-gallon tank. :rolleyes: I got it home, realized how big it was, got my shoes on and came back to find it on the floor(!) and was back at the store before closing. Yeah... Things that shaped my intense hatred of the commercial pet trade. Go with black kuhlis. They are awesome and eel-like and live for two decades and I am sitting here watching them do their happy loopity-loop dance as I type.

Ankutchey, get you some cresteds! They are seriously the easiest of the geckos to care for. They need it cool (under 80 degrees) so no heating needed, and the best possible meals come powdered (Repashy or Pangea) as their diets are pretty specific in the wild. They don't eat or poop much either so care is a breeze. All you really have to do is get them a tall tank as they feel safest up high and are very active at night. I adopted mine for I think $30 from a reptile rescue, he was found on a sidewalk in Northern Ohio. (Given how quick he is to slip out the door when I am cleaning I can see how it happened! Most are not this bad.) I see them all the time in local classifieds being rehomed as well, I think people get bored because they sleep all day. They are a lot like hermits in that way.

I may have yo try and convince my hubby on this one! But if always been fascinated by them. I'll definitely be on the lookout for some up for rehome, I look all the time for hermit crabs, but didn't think to look for the cresties ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have five PPs: Smoky, Albert, Stuart, Rocky, and Jax
Two Cats: Sherlock and Snowball
One Dog: Serana

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 pm

i really want a few fancy goldfish but i cannot foresee a time when i would be able to get a proper goldfish setup. ah well.