Show me your crabitats!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

CrabberCuber

Re: Show me your crabitats!

Post by CrabberCuber » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:53 am

rml6f4 wrote:Image

This is an older pic, my tank currently looks like a tornado hit it. Dollar store plants are the bomb.
Absolutely love the color in this tank. Beautiful work! I know what you mean too about the tornado hitting it. Doesn't take long for these guys to pick stuff apart and make a mess, lol.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:00 pm

CrabberCuber wrote:
StellaCrab wrote:
CrabberCuber wrote:Image
https://imgur.com/A3skUZy

https://imgur.com/XxlAZiW

https://imgur.com/CBwISUk

I anchored my wood into the substrate and the cork bark sealed to the side of the tank with silicone.

75 gal. Marineland
Cool! I think you have a nice tank, entertaining for the crabs!
That's a really deep pool! I realized I need bubblers in mine now, they need some excitement!
Thank You! Yeah I only have one in there right now. Its a new tank and im waiting on a couple others to come up in the old tank as well as waiting on some adoptions. But the one guy that's in there now, I think he's loving it. Every night he comes out to eat and hang out in the shell shop. He's used the pools a few times as well. The few times I've been able to catch him out he just looks so good and healthy - better than before I feel. But that could just be me enjoying the site of him in this tank i worked so hard to complete, lol. Excited to get the colony built up. my goals are to cap around 15 - adoptions only. I will never again support he crabbing industry, it makes me sick.
You can do 15 crabs in a 75 gal?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:03 pm

That pool is so deep! What’s that sticking out on the side of the tank in the pool? Is that to drain it?

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:You can do 15 crabs in a 75 gal?
I think that's rocking the boat just a bit, but that's my opinion :)
My tank is 55 gallons, and I only have seven crabs, I do not plan on getting any more.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

CrabberCuber

Post by CrabberCuber » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

rml6f4 wrote:
That pool is so deep! What’s that sticking out on the side of the tank in the pool? Is that to drain it?
Those pools are set up in an infinity design. In the stand is two 10 gallon sumps for filtration. the stuff on the side of the tank is plumbing. there is a spout and drain for each pool.

here is a video i took early on in testing. This show the basic idea of how it works along with how its tied into the sump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZh8U-AZ6FY

This one is of both pools running just after I installed the substrate prior to decorating and finishing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8t8Dkk9Ss8

It is an experiment. I got sick of changing water with a turkey baster and bucket. I wanted to ensure my guys have fresh filtered water at all times. I also wanted a design that a jumbo could get into and displace as much water as he wants and not have to worry about flooding. The pools are 1 gallon kritter keepers.

CrabberCuber

Post by CrabberCuber » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
You can do 15 crabs in a 75 gal?
I know someone in Florida with a few tanks, biggest being a 205 and he's rocking around 30-40 in it. He has anywhere from 80-100 across his tanks at any given time, constantly fostering, adoptiong and rescuing and many of you might know him here as he is a member, i just don't know his screen name here - met him on reddit and then in person in Feb this year. He feeds them very well and they are amazing crabitats. My tank is inspired from his. I don't plan to immediately get 15 and see what happens. I plan to grow slowly only accepting adoptions. Currently only 1 crab is in this tank. I am waiting for 2 more to come up from molting in my old tank. Then next week i plan to get 4 rescues from my friend in Florida and I have a pickup in June for 2 more in Ohio. I plan to hold off at 9 to see how things go and how cramped it may get and then decide from there.

I might be crazy, but im not that crazy! i do alot of thinking and planning before i jump into most things, lol.

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:30 pm

CrabberCuber wrote: It is an experiment. I got sick of changing water with a turkey baster and bucket. I wanted to ensure my guys have fresh filtered water at all times. I also wanted a design that a jumbo could get into and displace as much water as he wants and not have to worry about flooding. The pools are 1 gallon kritter keepers.
That is amazing! How did you cut the hole in the side of your tank for the piping? I’m probably not talented enough for the infinity pool, but if I could just pipe the pools into a bucket that would make my life so much easier than the dreaded turkey baster.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:07 am

Dude, I had 60-some in a 135G for years without issues until those stupid ants. I go with the flow these days but I have always personally thought the newer recommendations were a little too conservative.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabberCuber

Post by CrabberCuber » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 am

wodesorel wrote:Dude, I had 60-some in a 135G for years without issues until those stupid ants. I go with the flow these days but I have always personally thought the newer recommendations were a little too conservative.
From what I've seen, read and researched, a lot of the factors to keeping more is making sure they are always fully satisfied in their diet. variety is huge in the area i feel. If they aren't lacking a staple in their diet, they are generally docile and non-aggressive. I also think that the more you have in a healthy environment, they better they will do as they are social and roam around in massive colonies in the wild. Sorry to hear about the ants, that must have been a nightmare. I've read many stories about ants in the crabitats and i hope I never have to deal with that. I will have traps on the floor and on the window sill next to the tank for that reason. I can only imagine a 135g tank with 60 hermits, that must have been a very entertaining tank to observe. I'd probably get lost in time, staring, lol.

CrabberCuber

Post by CrabberCuber » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 am

rml6f4 wrote: That is amazing! How did you cut the hole in the side of your tank for the piping? I’m probably not talented enough for the infinity pool, but if I could just pipe the pools into a bucket that would make my life so much easier than the dreaded turkey baster.
This was the first time I did anything this risky to a tank, but i wanted to try. I found that drilling an aquarium is actually pretty easy and allows for a much cleaner setup. I didn't want to trail anything over the op on this one.
To cut the holes, you need special drill bits for cutting glass. These bits are fairly cheap. To know what size hole to drill, you first need to know what size plumbing you are going to use and have the Bulkhead you are going to use already picked out. As for drilling the actual hole, all it takes is water, the drill/bit and some time. Each hole takes about 1 minute to drill. What the bits have on them is diamond dust and they essentially sand their way through. You don't apply pressure and you let the bit sand while you make sure to keep the area wet. When i did this, i was surprised how easy it was and the risk of breaking the panel is very small if you are patient with it and have a helper the first few times. I would watch some videos on it before attempting, just to see someone doing it. that's what helps me. i probably watched around 20 difference videos of people doing this on YouTube and that gave me the knowledge and confidence to try it. i will probably drill any tank i come in contact with after this experience.

To give you an idea of how I approached it is that i knew from the start i wanted 1/2" PVC for my return lines and 3/4" PVC for drains. Knowing I wanted 1/2" pvc i went shopping online for 1/2" slip/slip Bulkhead - I prefer slip for cementing(You can get threaded too, or a combo). This bulkhead specifically lists that it requires a 1.25" hole. So that's the size bit i purchased. You can also get uniseals, But i would say save that type of bulkhead for 5 gallon buckets or plastic barrels for say aquaponics, hydroponics or indoor/outdoor fish pond. The Bulkhead has a seal and gives you a clean standardized hole that you can attach plumbing too.

Now keep in mind i had no idea about plumbing prior to this and I did make mistake purchases along the road trying to figure out what would work. In the end i am very happy with how everything turned out. I found these slip/pressure coulpers with allowed me to move away from a nylon tubing to the pump to hard plumbing all the way to the pump while allowing easy access and the ability to take the pump out without being too invasive. This is what im referring too. These are AWESOME. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Homewerks-Worl ... g/50160531 Luckily the pumps I ended up with had a standard 1/2" threaded opening. So to get the pump to accept a 1/2' slip i got adapters like these for 1/2" PVC. https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-PVC-Sch- ... er/1067457

If i get time tonight I can take another video and show the plumbing and sumps in more detail.

Ankutchey

Post by Ankutchey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am

wodesorel wrote:Dude, I had 60-some in a 135G for years without issues until those stupid ants. I go with the flow these days but I have always personally thought the newer recommendations were a little too conservative.
That's always been my thoughts. Getting back into have the little ones this time I stuck to a smaller number (5 small in a 40 gallon) and feel that they just have SO much area. Still they clump together usually and don't roam far from each other. When I had many more than this in a 40 last time they roamed more and explored. I think being in a larger group gives them confidence to stray a little more and be comfortable

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have five PPs: Smoky, Albert, Stuart, Rocky, and Jax
Two Cats: Sherlock and Snowball
One Dog: Serana

wrswrs2

Post by wrswrs2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Ankutchey wrote:
That's always been my thoughts. Getting back into have the little ones this time I stuck to a smaller number (5 small in a 40 gallon) and feel that they just have SO much area. Still they clump together usually and don't roam far from each other. When I had many more than this in a 40 last time they roamed more and explored. I think being in a larger group gives them confidence to stray a little more and be comfortable

You only have 5 in a 40 gallon?
I have 4 small ones, I had 5 but one went missing (he may be molting though) and I rarely ever see them, they all have their hiding spots are all MIA most of the day. I have 2 that are more active and I see them daily, but the other 2 every other day if I am lucky! There is so much moss they love to bury in it!

I can imagine that your large tank must feel super empty.

Ankutchey

Post by Ankutchey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:52 pm

wrswrs2 wrote:
Ankutchey wrote:

You only have 5 in a 40 gallon?
I have 4 small ones, I had 5 but one went missing (he may be molting though) and I rarely ever see them, they all have their hiding spots are all MIA most of the day. I have 2 that are more active and I see them daily, but the other 2 every other day if I am lucky! There is so much moss they love to bury in it!

I can imagine that your large tank must feel super empty.
At night all of mine have been up recently, but during the day 3 or 4 of them hang in the moss pit! I was hoping to get through these guys first molds before I got any more, but none of them have a molt sac so it could be awhile!

I have five PPs: Smoky, Albert, Stuart, Rocky, and Jax
Two Cats: Sherlock and Snowball
One Dog: Serana

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:01 pm

CrabberCuber wrote:

To cut the holes, you need special drill bits for cutting glass. These bits are fairly cheap.

If i get time tonight I can take another video and show the plumbing and sumps in more detail.
Thank you so much for all of the detail! I’ll definitely come back to this if I decide to upgrade my tank.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:47 am

CrabberCuber wrote: From what I've seen, read and researched, a lot of the factors to keeping more is making sure they are always fully satisfied in their diet. variety is huge in the area i feel. If they aren't lacking a staple in their diet, they are generally docile and non-aggressive.
I COULDLN'T AGREE MORE WITH THIS STATEMENT!!! One of the reasons why I am so conservative is most people don't have the time, or resources to feed a variety diet. Seriously - if you saw what my hermits ate every day you would be amazed. My husband says the hermits eat better that our family does (which isn't - but is true) ;) They get such a variety! I know the couple that you (@CrabberCuber), are referring to - they can do it because they are 1000% dedicated to their hermit crabs - NO JOKE!! They are incredible! Both husband and wife are an amazing duo that live for hermit crabs in general!!! :) I admire them!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com