What is your dream pet to own?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is your dream pet to own?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:37 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:i really want a few fancy goldfish but i cannot foresee a time when i would be able to get a proper goldfish setup. ah well.
If you have room for a 29g (better yet a 40g) you'll be fine. Second hand equitment is a lifesaver and have save the pocket a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
ROSIEonFIRE wrote:i really want a few fancy goldfish but i cannot foresee a time when i would be able to get a proper goldfish setup. ah well.
If you have room for a 29g (better yet a 40g) you'll be fine. Second hand equitment is a lifesaver and have save the pocket a bit.

For fancies?!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:51 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:

Totally true, u can go second hand to minimize many of the costs and that you can make it work with a 29 gallon but if your gonna go that small maintaining water quality would be a CONSTANT head ache, and you really wouldn't have enough room for more than one fish and they're social animals and blah blah blah. I think I'd want 3 fish and probably a 100 gallon tank, which is something I dont want to deal with until I'm done moving around every other year! Im dreading moving my 43 gallon tat enough as it is haha. Plus I HATE keeping up on aquarium maintenance. That's one of the things I love about hermit crabs. Once you set up the tat you barely have to do anything more than change their water every week or so and keep an eye on your parameters! I'm all about the low maintenance lifestyle ;)

But maybe some far-flumg, stationary day...
Last edited by ROSIEonFIRE on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Canister filter and a python water change system. I can do my 55-gallon turtle tank in one hour a week, and 90% of that is just sitting around waiting for it to drain and refill! I used to think it would be horrible having a bigger tank, but with the right tools it's been easier and less messy than my little ones.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:32 pm

wodesorel wrote:For fancies?!
Some boards too reccomend a 29g for a pair pf goldies... ideally i would suggest a 40g breeder, but some of the smaller strains (like ranchu, lionheads and pearlscale) can be a tight fit into a 29g.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:23 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
wodesorel wrote:For fancies?!
Some boards too reccomend a 29g for a pair pf goldies... ideally i would suggest a 40g breeder, but some of the smaller strains (like ranchu, lionheads and pearlscale) can be a tight fit into a 29g.

yeah im SURE its possible to keep fancies in that size of a tank, especially if you have a really excellent set up and are an experienced aquarist. i was always struggling with my aquariums though. also im so over dealing with the water :shock:

maybe it would be different if i lived in a house instead of an itsy bitsy one bedroom apartment that i share with my boyfriend, a dog, a crested gecko, 5 hermit crabs and many items lacto fermenting on all of my counter space in the kitchen lol

also im trying to resist my currently re-surging desire to set up a shrimp tank since im planning on getting a parrotlet (if it turns out im not too allergic to them) and honestly i think that is going to max out my pet-care time alottment haha

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:29 pm

wodesorel wrote:Canister filter and a python water change system. I can do my 55-gallon turtle tank in one hour a week, and 90% of that is just sitting around waiting for it to drain and refill! I used to think it would be horrible having a bigger tank, but with the right tools it's been easier and less messy than my little ones.
my boyfriends mom adopted a turtle named taco and in the time since theyve had her she's had to upgrade the tank like 2 times. every time i go over there i get a kick out of telling her that taco looks even bigger than last time, she gets so worked up! lol last time i told her that i thought taco had graduated to burrito

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:55 am

Ps another pet I fantasize about but will never get is a reticulated python. They are unbelievably beautiful but I dont think owning a snake bigger than myself is for me ;)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Turtles shoot up in size! I have a yearling I took in a rescue a couple months ago and he is already noticably bigger now that he is eating proper food and has UVB and clean water. I wish they all stayed tiny, it would be so much better for them.

Yeah, my limit on snakes is on if it could potentially kill my cats. Balls are as big as I will comfortably go. We keep ending up with kittens, and our smallest adult is a petite 4.5 pounds (the whole litter ended up tiny) so it makes me a little nervous since I have had the snakes escape.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:09 pm

I would really like to get an American Toad, but they are hard to find.
Where I live, they've suddenly become endangered due to all the huge birds we have eating them, but we do see a few wild ones! :)
I intend to find one someday and keep it for a while and eventually branch myself out to frogs and toads.

The last one we saw was outside on the driveway, late at night.
I think it was the middle of March.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat May 05, 2018 7:18 am

StellaCrab wrote:I would really like to get an American Toad, but they are hard to find.
Where I live, they've suddenly become endangered due to all the huge birds we have eating them, but we do see a few wild ones! :)
I intend to find one someday and keep it for a while and eventually branch myself out to frogs and toads.

The last one we saw was outside on the driveway, late at night.
I think it was the middle of March.

A toad sounds like such a cool pet! I’ve always loved frogs/toads, and I find them really fascinating :) hope one day you’ll be able to own one!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Just remember if it is a native animal you most likely have to have a permit from the state. I applied for mine and had my house inspected by a very nice wildlife officer. :) Wild caught pets also cannot be rereleased after a certain amount of time, and honestly it's not a great idea with amphibians because of the risk of chytrid fungus and ranavirus. There are several exotic toad species that are available commercially if you don't want to jump through any extra hoops, they can be owned as any other 'normal' exotic. I love my native guys but they were all rescues and rehabs. This one is Sprocket, I have had him since he was a squished baby in a gardening accident.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat May 05, 2018 2:29 pm

I love how grumpy toads always look. :D

Sprocket is super cute!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat May 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Well, I got one :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:04 pm

StellaCrab wrote:Well, I got one :)

Yay!! That’s so exciting! My next pet mission is to rescue another reptile :)