Made my own net!!!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ciaraalston

Made my own net!!!

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 am

So, I've had some jute twine and I finally sat and made a net. Work has been slow tonight so I had plenty of time Image

It's definitely not perfect, and I'm sure after some more practice I could make one that looks much better, but over all I'm pretty proud of this one!
Do y'all think this is okay? I'm hoping the holes aren't too big at the end where I started, I was struggling at first. Lol

I also made this long braid:

It's pretty thin:

It's made from jute twine as well. Do y'all think I could use it for anything?

Anyway, I'm super excited that I finally ordered these from amazon:

I'll be using those as my background. I ordered 6 to hang along the back with command hooks.

I have no idea where I'll be using the fish net at yet, I just made it because it doesn't hurt to have too much fishnet. ImageImage

I have a hamster wheel coming as well. At this rate a 55 gal is becoming too small! Lol

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

leah610

Re: Made my own net!!!

Post by leah610 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 am

Wow your net looks awesome! Much better than my quadrilateral, haha!! I hung mine against the very back wall, but you can hang it on the sides or against corners if you wanted to. I don't think the holes are too large. Mine are about the same size (maybe smaller) and my crabs are able to crawl up and through the holes fine. As for the braid, maybe you could wrap it around something like a branch or use it to hang or tie something up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 am

Great idea! I can wrap it around a small pot hide!! Thank you!

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 am

ciaraalston wrote:Great idea! I can wrap it around a small pot hide!! Thank you!

Or use it as a vine.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:23 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:Great idea! I can wrap it around a small pot hide!! Thank you!

Or use it as a vine.
That was my first thought. Just string it around the tank like a tightrope for them to climb around Image

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:50 am

ciaraalston wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:

Or use it as a vine.
That was my first thought. Just string it around the tank like a tightrope for them to climb around Image

They like climbing on the vine in my tank sometimes. Well, actually I don't know if they like it. They do it, trying to get from point A to point B. But it doesn't really lead to a point B, so they turn around and go back. But I figure it's a boredom buster.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:

Or use it as a vine.

They like climbing on the vine in my tank sometimes. Well, actually I don't know if they like it. They do it, trying to get from point A to point B. But it doesn't really lead to a point B, so they turn around and go back. But I figure it's a boredom buster.
Awe how cute!!! I really hope mine are more active once they have all this fun stuff in their bigger tank!

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:20 am

Ciaraalston, did you get those grasses from Amazon that you posted above and did you put them in your crabitat yet? Would love to see pics and how you did it. Thinking of doing something similar.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:30 am

ApePlanet wrote:Ciaraalston, did you get those grasses from Amazon that you posted above and did you put them in your crabitat yet? Would love to see pics and how you did it. Thinking of doing something similar.
I sure did! :)
If you check out "crabitat conditions" and find "55 gal upgrade thread!" it's all listed out in there :)
I'd post it here for you but i don't have the pics on my phone anymore

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:26 am

ciaraalston wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:Ciaraalston, did you get those grasses from Amazon that you posted above and did you put them in your crabitat yet? Would love to see pics and how you did it. Thinking of doing something similar.
I sure did! :)
If you check out "crabitat conditions" and find "55 gal upgrade thread!" it's all listed out in there :)
I'd post it here for you but i don't have the pics on my phone anymore
Thanks!