Rust!!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
hermiwormi
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Rust!!

Post by hermiwormi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:02 pm

I currently have a screen lid covered with saran wrap to hold in humidity. It rusted and began to drip rust today. When I lifted the lid to change out food, I saw that there was rusty water actively dripping from the lid. Could the rust kill my crabs?

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ

User avatar

AwesomeHermit
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Re: Rust!!

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:15 pm

hermiwormi wrote:I currently have a screen lid covered with saran wrap to hold in humidity. It rusted and began to drip rust today. When I lifted the lid to change out food, I saw that there was rusty water actively dripping from the lid. Could the rust kill my crabs?

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ
Exactly what is happening to me. But with my water bowls.
3 Clypeatus or maybe two idk
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!

User avatar

Topic author
hermiwormi
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Rust!!

Post by hermiwormi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:57 am

AwesomeHermit wrote:
hermiwormi wrote:I currently have a screen lid covered with saran wrap to hold in humidity. It rusted and began to drip rust today. When I lifted the lid to change out food, I saw that there was rusty water actively dripping from the lid. Could the rust kill my crabs?

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ
Exactly what is happening to me. But with my water bowls.
Have you had any issues with your crabs and the rust?

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9727
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Rust!!

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 am

Iron oxide by itself is considered harmless in small quantities, though unsightly. Between the humidity and the salt it's pretty well unavoidable. You shouldn't let a lot into the tank, but some is okay. Try to remove whatever is really rusting, or find a way to cover it so it doesn't fall in. Rusty lids can be repainted, but they take a few weeks to air out after.

The rusting water bowls are more worrisome. What are you using? Is it those cheap 'stainless steel' pet bowls that still end up rusting? Those should be avoided as crabs are sensitive to zinc, and zinc is part of the steel mixture!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

User avatar

Topic author
hermiwormi
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Rust!!

Post by hermiwormi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:58 am

wodesorel wrote:Iron oxide by itself is considered harmless in small quantities, though unsightly. Between the humidity and the salt it's pretty well unavoidable. You shouldn't let a lot into the tank, but some is okay. Try to remove whatever is really rusting, or find a way to cover it so it doesn't fall in. Rusty lids can be repainted, but they take a few weeks to air out after.

The rusting water bowls are more worrisome. What are you using? Is it those cheap 'stainless steel' pet bowls that still end up rusting? Those should be avoided as crabs are sensitive to zinc, and zinc is part of the steel mixture!
I wiped the lid dry and allowed the space between the lid and saran wrap to air out to let some of the moisture out from the area. I want to replace the lid, but I'm unsure of what to do with it currently.

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ

User avatar

AwesomeHermit
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Re: Rust!!

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:05 am

wodesorel wrote:Iron oxide by itself is considered harmless in small quantities, though unsightly. Between the humidity and the salt it's pretty well unavoidable. You shouldn't let a lot into the tank, but some is okay. Try to remove whatever is really rusting, or find a way to cover it so it doesn't fall in. Rusty lids can be repainted, but they take a few weeks to air out after.

The rusting water bowls are more worrisome. What are you using? Is it those cheap 'stainless steel' pet bowls that still end up rusting? Those should be avoided as crabs are sensitive to zinc, and zinc is part of the steel mixture!
I meant that the rusty water is dripping into my water bowl.
3 Clypeatus or maybe two idk
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!

Post Reply