Egg! What Now?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Egg! What Now?

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 pm

The fact I have to be told it’s not my fault also shows I don’t know what I’m doing.

This entire ordeal has been an emotional roller coaster. I don’t mind a little challenge in animal care, but this all is very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:29 am

rml6f4 wrote:Sorry about the bad luck with the eggs. Can I ask you where you got your Kreisel tube from? I was interested in building one but wasn’t sure where to find the tube.
Hi there,
A bit late to this thread but My 2 attempts to raise zoea (success on 2nd go) I used jars in a foam esky with a heater in the esky to keep the fresh water at a suitable temp. This kept the marine water in the jars warm. Each jar had a line with an airstone on the bottom to ensure good water movement.

I have since made a kriesel. It is a fish tank with a section of poly pipe (the biggest I could get) cut to length and fixed in place with silicone. This has a rectangle cut out at the top to allow access to the salt water and the zoea. There is then an air line positioned (this is the tricky bit) so that it creates flow around the sides of the cylinder.
Can't find a photo at the moment and it is packed away.. Have a look at Natalie's thread as I copied her idea. She is my mentor and I am also raising aussies. I have about 6 now that are 19mths old from my second attempt.

GOOD LUCK
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Hang in there! It's not your fault! You did the best you could do!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Just caught my breeding pair getting frisky. I left the room so I don’t scare them. I guess I may get a second batch of eggs this summer after all.

Except I’m moving away to college at the end of August. My dorm doesn’t allow non-fishes, so I’ll have to wait until next summer.

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Hatched more eggs. Seeing as how they didn’t actually hatch properly, I threw them all in. Thus concludes my breeding attempt. Maybe next summer I’ll have more luck.

ImageImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Awe man! Sorry to hear!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com