What to do?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

What to do?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:18 pm

I would like to know what to do if there are holes all over and I want to move stuff? Lol. Or add something but afraid to collapse anything. And what do you do when they bury HALF their shells??? I can't unbury them without possibly disturbing a cave or a crab that could actually be in the shell. :?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What to do?

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Both Sonny and Cher are currently under. I have a new hidey/ climby thingy I want to add. There are holes and sand lumps and I have no idea where they are. So I will wait. LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:44 pm

curlysister wrote:Both Sonny and Cher are currently under. I have a new hidey/ climby thingy I want to add. There are holes and sand lumps and I have no idea where they are. So I will wait. LOL.
I have 7 in the tank. 2 are up now.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm

I’m having the same issue. I want to add a bigger fresh water pool and can’t for fear of collapsing anything underneath..it’s frustrating but I’m waiting it out even though it’s killing me!! Lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:07 pm

fandt94 wrote:I’m having the same issue. I want to add a bigger fresh water pool and can’t for fear of collapsing anything underneath..it’s frustrating but I’m waiting it out even though it’s killing me!! Lol
Someone is always down.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
fandt94 wrote:I’m having the same issue. I want to add a bigger fresh water pool and can’t for fear of collapsing anything underneath..it’s frustrating but I’m waiting it out even though it’s killing me!! Lol
Someone is always down.
I’m beginning to realize this lol! Right now my big guy came up to eat and what not and went right back under. (I know where he is and it’s near where I want to put the new pool!) About a week ago a newbie tiny went down so not sure of her condition. Haven’t seen her and don’t even know where she went down. Another went down the other day after changing shells...I know where it is also but I’m concerned with him so leaving that area alone also....just a waiting game. Now if I could catch the big guy out again and hurry to put in the pool that’d be great haha!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 pm

I have 3 of 5 under right now, so I'm avoiding touching anything

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark.

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 am

3 of my 4 just went down today and basically dig right next to each other. I’m hoping they don’t collapse each other’s cave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:48 am

HHIhermies1004 wrote:3 of my 4 just went down today and basically dig right next to each other. I’m hoping they don’t collapse each other’s cave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine dig right next to each other as well, despite having everywhere else to burrow

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 am

Hoping the one that I watched switch shells and go down is molting because he needs to...chose a better shell but it seemed so heavy for him! I caught a glimpse of him down at the bottom through the glass and covered the glass there....soooo dang hard to not sneak a peak especially after having lost 2 of our guys most likely to PPS...

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 am

My hermies reuse their holes, so I never fill them. If they don't want something behind them, they will backfill them, or drag something to cover it like an eggshell, or a leaf. It's actually kind of comical! ;)

As far as the shells...that's why I love the shell shops a little higher up. It avoids this issue. Don't you have one in this tank? I'm sorry, I can't remember!

Waiting...waiting...and more waiting...the life of a crabber!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 am

GotButterflies wrote:My hermies reuse their holes, so I never fill them. If they don't want something behind them, they will backfill them, or drag something to cover it like an eggshell, or a leaf. It's actually kind of comical! ;)

As far as the shells...that's why I love the shell shops a little higher up. It avoids this issue. Don't you have one in this tank? I'm sorry, I can't remember!

Waiting...waiting...and more waiting...the life of a crabber!

No, I don't. I had had one in the smaller tank but it seemed they never used it. Just walked through it. When I put the shells on the ground is when they got interested in the shells. And some of these shells are big now. They take up a lot of room.