Nightly menu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Nightly menu

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:25 pm

So, I'm starting this thread to share my menu each night and how my crabs react to each meal.
If anyone would like to post their menu, please do so!
If not, that's totally fine. I'm just sharing to do so. Image

Here's last night's menu before and after:

Here's tonight's menu before:

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

fandt94

Re: Nightly menu

Post by fandt94 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:33 pm

Ooooh I bet it’s devoured yet again!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

HHIhermies1004

Nightly menu

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Always so organized!! If I was a hermit crab I would eat all of that ;).

The Bee Mine mix and blood worms is always a favorite in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Sorry for the late responses!! I've got a lot going on with work and honestly i feel like I'm sleep walking thru this month!

So here's the after math of the last meal I posted:

They didn't seem to like the cracked freekeh as much. And the wild salmon wasn't a total hit, but they did eat some so I'm excited about that. I left this meal in for 2 days to make sure they got all they wanted.

Here's tonight's meal:

Note: I have a dish with worm castings, calcium powders, and oyster shells in the tank at all times. But when it needs changing/cleaning and I'm busy, I just add enough for the night to their meal and wash the dish and add it back to the tank the next morning when I get home from work.

Thanks for being patient! Image

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:53 pm

fandt94 wrote:Ooooh I bet it’s devoured yet again!
Almost! They're picky eaters so they keep me on my toes haha
HHIhermies1004 wrote:Always so organized!! If I was a hermit crab I would eat all of that ;).

The Bee Mine mix and blood worms is always a favorite in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood worms are a hit in my tank too! I added some honey tonight because my E just resurfaced from a molt. Hopefully he eats all he wants tonight!

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Question about the worm castings...I’ve done it in little bottle caps but recently just started sprinkling on the substrate here and there...should I not!? I’ve done the same with calcium powders (as well as in a little cap).
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 am

fandt94 wrote:Question about the worm castings...I’ve done it in little bottle caps but recently just started sprinkling on the substrate here and there...should I not!? I’ve done the same with calcium powders (as well as in a little cap).
I have crushed oyster shells mixed into my substrate. I was assume that's the same as the calcium powder I think? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Also, I believe I've seen others mix worm castings in their substrate. My crabs make a mess of it and get it all out of the dish onto the substrate and I usually just leave it. I haven't had any mold issues yet..

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 am

This is just fantastic. Gives me a lot of ideas. Thanks for sharing!

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:45 am

So, I really only have some dried vegetables and Hermit pellets that I feed them. I’m guessing you just try a bunch of types of food to see which are popular or is there a more strategic approach to what types of food you buy?

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:07 am

ApePlanet wrote:So, I really only have some dried vegetables and Hermit pellets that I feed them. I’m guessing you just try a bunch of types of food to see which are popular or is there a more strategic approach to what types of food you buy?
I don’t know about the OP but for me, being a newbie, I’ve bought tons of different things from various homemade sellers...from mushrooms to mixes of a basic diet. I vary it every other night since it’s dried. I’ve only seen a few favorites right now because most of mine are now down. I put very tiny amounts out at this time because only one tiny guy has been around consistently. So I will do a protein, maybe 2 choices and just a couple others from food groups. I’m not very organized. I just make sure there is a protein and a few other choices from other groups and I also always have calcium etc in other dishes at all times. I also sprinkle flowers and such

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:12 am

I wanted to add that when I first started ,peanut butter and a noodle were huge hits with mine. Eggs don’t seem to be popular among my crew...but a noodle and peanut butter had them all eating at first!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 am

ApePlanet wrote:So, I really only have some dried vegetables and Hermit pellets that I feed them. I’m guessing you just try a bunch of types of food to see which are popular or is there a more strategic approach to what types of food you buy?
So I've ordered from The Hermit Crab Patch, Hermies kitchen, and TheHealthyHermit. I took all the foods I ordered from them and made a feeding schedule. I try to leave it all in for 2 days if I can, depending on how quickly they eat it all.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks all! Looks like I’ll be getting an order around sometime soon.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:15 pm

I really need to make a list of what I have and organize it all lol

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Sorry y'all, I've been so busy with work! Here's the missed meals

I forgot to take an after photo, but there was only a bit of the walk in the woods mix left. Everything else was GONE!! The crawfish was the first to go!

Here's tonight's menu-

EDITED TO ADD-
I added the chicken manure again because it was such a hit. And the honey coral calcium because their calcium dish was full of worm castings and oyster shells, so tomorrow when I clean it I'll readd everything else. They really like the honey coral calcium from hermit crab patch.
Last edited by ciaraalston on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.