Nightly menu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Re: Nightly menu

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:28 pm

ApePlanet wrote:So, I really only have some dried vegetables and Hermit pellets that I feed them. I’m guessing you just try a bunch of types of food to see which are popular or is there a more strategic approach to what types of food you buy?
Sorry for the late reply!

So yes, I ordered a bunch of food for them. I created a feeding schedule where I have 1 mix every night, then other single items added on. Like for instance if the mix doesn't have but 1 protein, I'll add 1 or 2 single items that are proteins to supplement. I have a post about that with the feeding schedule attached. Let me know if you want the link. :)

I'm documenting this so that I can keep track of what they loved and what didn't go over so well. And yes like you said, then in future orders I can order favorites and items they haven't tried instead of continuing orders with foods they barely touch.

I'm a list maker. I plan things out and keep it organized. Its a little weird. But it helps me keep track of things. Especially stuff I'm spending hard earned money on Image

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Sorry y'all, I've been so busy with work! Here's the missed meals

I forgot to take an after photo, but there was only a bit of the walk in the woods mix left. Everything else was GONE!! The crawfish was the first to go!

Here's tonight's menu-

Hey Ciara,

Where did you purchase the honey coral calcium? My crabs would go Zonkers for that :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:31 pm

HHIhermies1004 wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:Sorry y'all, I've been so busy with work! Here's the missed meals

I forgot to take an after photo, but there was only a bit of the walk in the woods mix left. Everything else was GONE!! The crawfish was the first to go!

Here's tonight's menu-

Hey Ciara,

Where did you purchase the honey coral calcium? My crabs would go Zonkers for that :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hermit crab patch Image

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

LeeHasCrabs

Nightly menu

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Question: does the peanut butter need to be organic or can it be regular?

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Question: does the peanut butter need to be organic or can it be regular?
Organic is recommended but when I first started out all I had on hand was regular.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:42 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Question: does the peanut butter need to be organic or can it be regular?
I couldn't find organic in our store, either they were out or don't carry it. So it's regular peanut butter. But I only serve a small amount on occasion so I guess it doesn't hurt. But that's just me.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Here's the remains of last night's meal-

They dragged worms all over the place, and ate a good bit. I could leave it in one more night, but they seem to really like this variety so I'm going to go ahead and serve tonight's.

Here's tonight's-

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 pm

I personally have a dish of just worm castings in my tank that I just add to. Then, I also have a dish for calcium items that I leave in there as well. Exoskeleton, calcium carbonate, oyster shell, crushed/powdered egg shell. That way those items don't get wasted by being mixed with food items.

Mine love the crawfish exoskeleton as well. I think it is because it is so stinky!! LOL :banana:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I personally have a dish of just worm castings in my tank that I just add to. Then, I also have a dish for calcium items that I leave in there as well. Exoskeleton, calcium carbonate, oyster shell, crushed/powdered egg shell. That way those items don't get wasted by being mixed with food items.

Mine love the crawfish exoskeleton as well. I think it is because it is so stinky!! LOL :banana:
Once I move them into the totes, I'll have room for separate dishes like that. But for now, one dish is worm castings, calcium powders, oyster shells and the other dish is foods. I used to mix them but you're right, it's better to keep them seperate! Only time I mix is when I need to for cleaning and I'm crunched on time. (If I woke up a few minutes earlier I wouldn't be crunched for time, but I like the snooze button on my graveyard clockImageImage)

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:57 pm

I have a shell filled with worm castings and sometimes mealworms...then another small scallop shell with calcium items...then that carved cholla wood food dish with whatever 4 items. That being said, my one crab, Monstro (his name is quite fitting lol)...literally makes a mess of it all...knocking things over, climbing in and out of dishes. He also loves to dig shallow “dens” at night always by the food dishes...where he then turns and will watch from his “den.” He really IS a strange, messy one!! At least he is quite friendly with my tiny crab....they are never far from each other lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:24 pm

This is my favorite thread of the week!

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 pm

ApePlanet wrote:This is my favorite thread of the week!
Same!! I always look forward to seeing the new comments/posts and getting food ideas

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:24 am

Organic is preferred but as long as it doesn't have added salt it should be fine. :)

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Organic is preferred but as long as it doesn't have added salt it should be fine. :)

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Thanks!

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Random question: is there a better place to place the food dishes in the tank? Mine is near the water pools.