Command Hooks not sticking

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Command Hooks not sticking

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm having a problem with command hooks sticking on the inside of my tank in some areas. I tried a little water, vinegar, even a magic eraser to clean the inside glass. Then wiped it dry really well with paper towels before sticking them to the inside. After anywhere from an hour to a few days they will just fall off. I tried the hooks with clear rubbery and the white foam sticky pads and they keep falling off. This tank was originally an aquarium but we cleaned it out and scrubbed the entire tank very well before turning it into a crabitat.

The suction cups for my moss pit seem to be holding on fine, the occasional one may come loose every few weeks but thats it.

Any ideas what else I could try to get the command hooks to hold?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

fandt94

Re: Command Hooks not sticking

Post by fandt94 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Following....I have the SAME problem
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 pm

I had the same issue. I added a drop of aquarium safe silicone to the sticky part and let it set for a day or so. Mine have never fallen.
It also doesn't hinder removal. I just pull the tab and it pops off like normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 pm

Also, I used the clear ones with metal hooks. Since March I haven't had any rust or problems with the metal hooks.

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 am

ciaraalston wrote:I had the same issue. I added a drop of aquarium safe silicone to the sticky part and let it set for a day or so. Mine have never fallen.
It also doesn't hinder removal. I just pull the tab and it pops off like normal.

Thank you for confirming that, I wanted to try it but I haven’t got around to it yet.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

amandapri82

Post by amandapri82 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 am

Great idea!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:29 pm

ciaraalston wrote:I had the same issue. I added a drop of aquarium safe silicone to the sticky part and let it set for a day or so. Mine have never fallen.

Hopefully this isn't done with hermies in the crabitat. ;)

A few suggestions: try cleaning the surface with plain vinegar prior to placing the command hook. After cleaning it, wipe it dry with a plain paper towel. Then, press the command hook on, and press it and apply pressure for a good 30 seconds. DO NOT hang anything from it for a good 5 minutes. This works for me. :) I personally have used the velcro backing for hanging 9lb picture frames, and then I use whatever kind of command hook I prefer. My humidity is always at 99%, so that is never a factor for me. Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:33 pm

GotButterflies wrote:

Hopefully this isn't done with hermies in the crabitat. ;)

A few suggestions: try cleaning the surface with plain vinegar prior to placing the command hook. After cleaning it, wipe it dry with a plain paper towel. Then, press the command hook on, and press it and apply pressure for a good 30 seconds. DO NOT hang anything from it for a good 5 minutes. This works for me. :) I personally have used the velcro backing for hanging 9lb picture frames, and then I use whatever kind of command hook I prefer. My humidity is always at 99%, so that is never a factor for me. Good luck!
Oh no, definitely way before. Image Those spoiled babies get everything set up before they even get in there. Image

The totes will be much easier because instead of command hooks, I can just drill a small hole and zip tie.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 am

Glad to hear that! Just wanted to mention in case others thought it was safe. No glues can be used when crabs are in the tank. Glues have to be completely dried before placing in the tank. :) (This is for everyone that reads the threads)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks, Thats what I thought about the glue. I have been meaning to post a reply to this for a few days, every time I get side tracked. I had an extra suction cup or two laying around from a pet hammock i'm not using. I put a zip tie though it and it holds the wheel in place. Every few days I need to stick it back up. At least the crabs aren't knocking the wheel over every night now.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities