Boring 65g when everyone molts lol!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
AgentK25

Boring 65g when everyone molts lol!

Post by AgentK25 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:55 am

So I must've gotten my 65g set up just perfectly because all six bitty crabs in that tank have been MIA all week. My husband was giving me a hard time about having 13 crabs now (just ribbing me, he loves them too, but he thought we had 11 :D ), but then I asked him how many he actually sees each day. :) I currently have two ISO tanks going as well as my 65g and 150g. Right now, the only crabbies that are seen regularly are the five in the 150 and the newest guy in ISO suffering from PPS. Everyone else is down under right now.

It's so weird to have a beautiful tank that appears to have no inhabitants! lol
Devoted Mom to 1 macaw, 1 cat, and 9 PPs

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Boring 65g when everyone molts lol!

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Pet sand... :wink:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Thats when you start naming your isopods and creating soap operas around them.

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm

I finally got to see six of the nine teeny-small crabbies in my 65g the other night! I stood there forever just watching and softly talking to them. One of the last two teeny crabs in a painted shell FINALLY picked a new shell...only one lil guy in a blue shell remains unable to choose a new condo...There are about 70 shells in there, so it's not for lack of options! lol

My two largest crabbies in that tank got a whole lot bigger after their first molt with me! Holey cows! They bumped up at least two shells sizes in one molt! Thank goodness they seem to enjoy the company of the teeniest of the teeny crabbies in that crabitat. (dime-nickel size) Just love my crabbies :crabbigsmile:

Hoping my isopods breed soon so I can move a bunch into my crabitats... I went with zebra isopods because the other ones look just a bit too "buggie" for me. :) I find the zebras actually even strike me as "cute".

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:47 pm

I was just going to make a post on how all 5 of mine have been under for a week as well. I have a dish of food and holes in the sand. So dull waiting for them to come up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:08 pm

I know, right? And you can't even redecorate when everyone is molting...

On the plus side, when they started to surface several came up at the same time. SUPER EXCITING! :banana:

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:38 pm

AgentK25 wrote:I know, right? And you can't even redecorate when everyone is molting...
THIS is what’s making me crazy because the back side of my tank is in shambles lol! Ravines and holes...shells half in the sub...but not much I can do to fix it right now lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:12 am

YEP! My tank needs a good clean up because they ripped down a command hook and drug it across the tank. (I removed it) and now the grass mat is falling. They have the mopani wood branch all crooken and the small tree is leaning against the back glass since someone dug right under it. But i can't move a thing because there's so many holes! :hlol:
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:47 am

ciaraalston wrote:YEP! My tank needs a good clean up because they ripped down a command hook and drug it across the tank. (I removed it) and now the grass mat is falling. They have the mopani wood branch all crooken and the small tree is leaning against the back glass since someone dug right under it. But i can't move a thing because there's so many holes! :hlol:
I hate those holes!! Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 pm

ciaraalston wrote:YEP! My tank needs a good clean up because they ripped down a command hook and drug it across the tank. (I removed it) and now the grass mat is falling. They have the mopani wood branch all crooken and the small tree is leaning against the back glass since someone dug right under it. But i can't move a thing because there's so many holes! :hlol:
Definitely sounds like my tank! I have a huge ravine in the middle of the tank where there are half buried shells and cholla....and a huge piece of coral sinking...but...can’t move anything! The back side has become a gully...the entire tank is a war zone of holes and uneven sub :hlol:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:08 pm

One of my guys came up last night then buried himself in the morning LOL.

https://youtu.be/5kQN07SRrs8

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:43 pm

ApePlanet wrote:One of my guys came up last night then buried himself in the morning LOL.

I NEED a couple of those cameras!! I love watching your time lapse videos. :)

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:54 pm

It’s so cool to see them moving so fast.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:52 pm

AgentK25 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:One of my guys came up last night then buried himself in the morning LOL.

I NEED a couple of those cameras!! I love watching your time lapse videos. :)
Thank you! I LOVE my Wyze cams and will get a second when I get around to setting up my 55.