Is My Crab Dead?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Princess R.

Is My Crab Dead?

Post by Princess R. » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 am

This Morning I found my crab limp, hanging out of his shell, and his eyes were glazed over. You see, my crabs are real buddies, and they like to huddle together in a mug that I burrowed in the substrate, handle down. My healthy one is sleeping in the back of the mug, and the sick? one is laying in the front. Should I move my crab? Please, I need answers! :(
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is My Crab Dead?

Post by curlysister » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:59 am

Are you able to post a photo of him?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Just in case he's still alive give him honey, peanut butter for energy and calcium. Fill in the emergency template so we can see the conditions of the tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:04 pm

. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

4 inches of eco earth

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Yes, a non digital one, and it is stuck to the back of the tank.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

A 6 by 8 inch repti therm.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh and salt. I use filtered water from a reverse osmosis. I use natural sea salt for my salt water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Fruits, veggies, meats, bloodworms, oak leaves, and commercial food ocasianly, and fish flakes.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I've had Squirt for about three weeks, and he's a purple pincher.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did itpinched.

No, not yet.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

I have a ten gallon glass aquarium, with a glass aquarium lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 small crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

I keep several different sized shells in my crabitat.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I spot clean for debris, mold growth, and old food daily.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

A large climbing stick.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

I handle them A lot. I always make sure to hold them carefully.
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Yesterday I moved him (very gently) to my isolation tank. He moved a little, so I knew he wasn't dead. The next morning I opened the isolation tank, and I sniffed. Phew! A strong fishy odor came out of the tank. At first I thought he was dead, but then, I noticedbone of his legs were red. Not a textured red like you see on other non molting crabs, but a smooth bright red. I gently prodded him, and he didn't move. What's going on? Could he be molting?
-Ruth A. J. G.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Are you able to post a photo?

You need a little more substrate. At least 6 inches or 3x as deep as your largest crab. Most of us use a mixture of playsand and EE in a 5:1 ratio. It also needs to be moist enough to hold it's shape (ie- sand castle consistency).

What brand of salt do you use to make the salt water?

What are the temp at humidity in the tank?

HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab - that would be around 15 shells for 3 crabs.

Do you provide a calcium source?

Most of us prefer a hands-off approach, as handling them takes them out of their proper temp and humidity, and can stress them un-necessarily.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 pm

No, I couldn't post a photo. He died the next day, and I knew it because the smell got stronger and he started to decay.
Thanks for the help though, guys!
-Ruth A. J. G.

RiNiKy506

Is My Crab Dead?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:28 pm

I’m sorry for your loss. <3

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«