Tank Temperature

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

boatswain

Re: Tank Temperature

Post by boatswain » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:35 am

Thank you for your answer.

The soil that I use is eco earth. It is around 5" deep, I think this is enough for small crabs.

Water.... I use a bottled drink water without Dechlor conditioner. Am I wrong? should I use water conditioner with bottled water? The same water I use for a salt water.

I have a digital remote sensor for temp/humidity control. And, I have a solid lead on top of the tank.

Unfortunately, this termo pad is not available for me on amazon.ca and can not be shipped to Canada... As usual... :(

I think, my problem is a small pad which is not enough for the tank. I need to increase the temperature.

What do you think, can I dig them out. My children worrying... We did not see two of them more than a week... :(

Thanks again!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:02 pm

boatswain wrote:Thank you for your answer.

The soil that I use is eco earth. It is around 5" deep, I think this is enough for small crabs.

they need a minimum of 6 inches. Doesn't matter how small they are. This helps keep them safe while molting. They give off a sweet odor that other crabs find appetizing. With deep enough substrate and plenty of calcium and protein there should be no cannabilism.
Water.... I use a bottled drink water without Dechlor conditioner. Am I wrong? should I use water conditioner with bottled water? The same water I use for a salt water.

you do need a dechlorinator. One that eliminates chlorine, chloromine and neutralizes heavy metals and ammonia. A good one is Prime. You only need a drop per gallon so it lasts a long time.

I have a digital remote sensor for temp/humidity control. And, I have a solid lead on top of the tank.

Unfortunately, this termo pad is not available for me on amazon.ca and can not be shipped to Canada... As usual... :(

I think, my problem is a small pad which is not enough for the tank. I need to increase the temperature.

What do you think, can I dig them out. My children worrying... We did not see two of them more than a week... :(

never dig them up unless it's an emergency, like a flood or bacterial bloom. Crabs can stay buried for months while molting. If not molting they bury to destress or just because. And they may be coming up at night without you knowing. You can smooth out the substrate and if they're out at night, you'll see foot prints or drag prints.
Thanks again!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:09 am

I have realized that when my crabs are in a tank with 80+ degrees, they are less active than when the temp bumps down to 75.
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 am

soilentgringa wrote:Hi fellow crabbers. I want to take a moment and discuss tank temperature.

Over the years, it seems that the recommended temps in crabitats have risen till they are over 80°F.

The temperature range in a purple pincher's natural habitat is anywhere from 69°F to 89°F.

If someone has a tank of PP's and their temps are in the low or mid 70's, the crabs will be fine. They aren't going to be adversely affected.

If you have species from warmer climates or have a tank of mixed species, sure, make sure you're in low 80's, but PP's will be just fine at 74°.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
Mine is around 70 ... and he is not active ! He eats kinda .. it's way to low! I think he stays in one place curled up in his shell he is cold Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Boatswain, why don't you start a new thread, over in the 'new crabs and new crab owners' section, and we can help with your conditions. Do not dig up your crabs!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabby Fritos

Post by Crabby Fritos » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Katievalencia wrote:I have a 10gal tank, nights are getting cooler here in the east coast, what heat source would you recommend and where to get it? worrying about fire hazard..Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I don't know if this is too late. I went to my local Petsmart/Petco (Don't know if there's a difference on the East Coast) and got a $20 Lamp from the ZooMed Reptile line. I also bought a combo pack of their NightLight Red/ Daylight Blue bulbs as the lamp does not come with any. It does wonder for my tank and at times even have to turn it off. The added heat tends to reduce the humidity over a period of time and before you leave it alone, you will want to fix all the tweaks. I hope this was helpful. : )

Katievalencia

Post by Katievalencia » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:42 am

I got the ultratherm as advised by most and placed it at the back of my 10gal tank.. i still cannot get the temp up. Mostly 67-70f.. i might be doing it wrong? If anyone can send me a picture of their heat set up? Would greatly appreciate it!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:52 am

Katievalencia wrote:I got the ultratherm as advised by most and placed it at the back of my 10gal tank.. i still cannot get the temp up. Mostly 67-70f.. i might be doing it wrong? If anyone can send me a picture of their heat set up? Would greatly appreciate it!

A few questions!

What is the temperature of the room?

What is the size of the Ultratherm?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Katievalencia

Post by Katievalencia » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:56 am

wodesorel wrote:
Katievalencia wrote:I got the ultratherm as advised by most and placed it at the back of my 10gal tank.. i still cannot get the temp up. Mostly 67-70f.. i might be doing it wrong? If anyone can send me a picture of their heat set up? Would greatly appreciate it!

A few questions!

What is the temperature of the room? 65

What is the size of the Ultratherm? Covered the whole back part of the 10gal

RiNiKy506

Tank Temperature

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:10 am

Insulate the ultratherm, you can use a blanket to cover your tank until you get stuff to insulate, cover the back, top and sides. I used a different type of carpet padding to insulate mine, I think other use cardboard wrapped with tinfoil. Poly pro insulation board works great too, I think you can even get smaller pieces at a hardware store. That will make a huge difference in getting your tank temp up.

Edit added pictures.

My isolation tank, just have it covered with a towel.

I couldn’t get great pictures of my main tank bc my sons tv is in the way. Can’t wait until we move!

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Last edited by RiNiKy506 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katievalencia

Post by Katievalencia » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:16 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:Insulate the ultratherm, you can use a blanket to cover your tank until you get stuff to insulate, cover the back, top and sides. I used a different type of carpet padding to insulate mine, I think other use cardboard wrapped with tinfoil. Poly pro insulation board works great too, I think you can even get smaller pieces at a hardware store. That will make a huge difference in getting your tank temp up.

Thanks! Do i need to cover the top fully? Is it necessary to leave a lil bit for air to come in?

Katievalencia

Post by Katievalencia » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:24 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:Insulate the ultratherm, you can use a blanket to cover your tank until you get stuff to insulate, cover the back, top and sides. I used a different type of carpet padding to insulate mine, I think other use cardboard wrapped with tinfoil. Poly pro insulation board works great too, I think you can even get smaller pieces at a hardware store. That will make a huge difference in getting your tank temp up.

Edit added pictures.

My isolation tank, just have it covered with a towel.

I couldn’t get great pictures of my main tank bc my sons tv is in the way. Can’t wait until we move!

That is a very nice set up! So my mistake is i didnt put any insulation over the ultratherm and left it by itself..ImageImage i was thinking of fire hazard..Image

RiNiKy506

Tank Temperature

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:46 am

Katievalencia wrote:
Thanks! Do i need to cover the top fully? Is it necessary to leave a lil bit for air to come in?

I added pictures to my previous post for you, they didn’t turn out the greatest. We’re in the process of moving so I’m missing some lights and my son’s tv is in the way to get any good pictures for you. You don’t have to leave any spaces open, the air exchange from when you feed them should be enough.
Thank you Image it’s ok, I did the same thing when I got mine, the ultratherms are the only kind (I believe) that can be insulated over.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 am

Is the pad warm to the touch at all? Even if it isn't insulated, you should be seeing more heat then a couple of degrees. I'm wondering if your thermometer or the UTH is bad. Definitely try insulating, but if it doesn't go up significantly then something is wrong.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

NinjaPurgs

Post by NinjaPurgs » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks for posting this update Soilent.