I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

mlakers

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by mlakers » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:19 am

You've got this!!!

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:42 pm

Update?? I’ve been checking daily for one haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 pm

Hello everyone. Long time since I've been on here. As of several days ago I had 3 PP and I E that were megalopa - and then they just died for no apparent reason. None of my megalopa appeared to have taken shells - I truly only found two that were dead - can't find the others - but I don't see them. Just assuming they died or were eaten by the others. It was devastating to me. I've also lost a good majority of my zoeae - which I believe are Es because they are definitely cannabalizing one another. I've done absolutely nothing different with my routine - still doing water changes regularly - using phytoplankton water, feeding regularly. Part of me is positive because it's the furthest I've ever gotten - but sad because I was so hopeful I would have hermies. I'm thankful for the experience, and I do have some good pictures - but not very many. Hopefully I'll have some success with the zoeae I have left. Thank you for your thoughts!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

amandapri82

Post by amandapri82 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:26 pm

So sorry for your losses after your hard work and determination!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you. I still have some zoeae, so fingers and toes are crossed that I'll have some that will make it this time :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:29 pm

You get further and further with each attempt. I'm sure you will get them to ground soon! Each time you are getting better and better. It's a labor of love I'm sure. I know I would never be able to get them where you have reached. You are doing the almost I'm possible! Keep up the great work and don't let them bring you down. You will get it one of these times.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:40 pm

So...they are all gone now. Either the water got too cold, or I forgot to mix salt in the water. I'm really not sure. I've been really tired. The sea monkeys are all alive - but they can live in fresh or salt - so I'm not sure. Absolutely devastating...

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:42 pm

I’m so sorry.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Awe. This is sad. Im sorry it didnt work out this time around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:16 pm

I'm so sorry.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you everyone. I did find out what happened to some of my megas. I had moved them to a tank that I had set up. I had also purchased cheato which is a type of algae from a local msw fish store. Well, I was inquiring about some sea anemones that I found on the side of the tank, and told her I also found some bristle worms. She informed me that the bristle worms would have eaten the megas, which explains why I never found their bodies. I was also told the bristle worms and the anemones that I have are considered pests. I obviously won't do the cheato again even though the megas liked eating it. :/

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:06 am

Aww! I’m sorry!

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 pm

Hello Everyone! Zoeae came early this year! I’m not sure if their exact age, but I found Zoeae Tuesday evening!!! They could be PPs or Es (from my 100gallon tank with the 67gallon topper). I usually change their waters on Sunday, but we were out of town for a baseball tournament, and didn’t get home until Sunday late afternoon, and I had been too busy to change the waters until Tuesday (it’s time consuming for three crabitats with toppers! ) Anyways~ just wanted to share the news!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 pm

As I said before, Concrabulations! It's that time of the year again! Hopefully everything is back to "normal" compared to earlier this year. Sending possitive crabby vibes your way! Good luck!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:04 am

Congrats!!!! I'm crossing my fingers and praying hard! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot