Is my crab molting? Hasnt moved much in a few days

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Nautilusmollusc

Is my crab molting? Hasnt moved much in a few days

Post by Nautilusmollusc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Zoomed coconut substrate. Deepest is 2” and fades to floor level in 10gallon tank

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Between 70F to 75F. Hygrometer shows about 70.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

8w heatpad attached to the right by the substrate wall and a space heater on the left

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Small tray of dechlorinated salt water and a full tray of dechlorinated water using zoomed conditioners

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Zoomed hermit crab food. Once a week.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

Since dec 20 2018. Purple pincher.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

No

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

Basement in a 10gallon tank.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

A loner. Just got him a buddy but he’s still not miving in his shell. Bew hermit crab just ignores him.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Just got two bew empty medium sized shells for him.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Havent fully cleaned the tank yet. Did a wipe down of the walls just yesterday.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

I clean the water dishes every other day.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Two new shells, extra coconut substrate for added depth

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

No?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

My hermit crab doesnt move even after all my efforts to get him more comfortable and happy.

Gotbhim a new buddy, bew shells, more substrate and a climbing rock with holes inside. He just lies there... no dead fish smell, is he molting??

Hermiesguardian

Re: Is my crab molting? Hasnt moved much in a few days

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Nautilusmollusc wrote:1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Zoomed coconut substrate. Deepest is 2” and fades to floor level in 10gallon tank

they need a minimum of 6inches of substrate. Or 3x the depth of your largest crab.
Whichever is deeper. Best type if substrate is a mix of playsand/eco earth. It needs to be mixed with dechlorinated water to sandcastle consistancy, so it holds its shape

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Between 70F to 75F. Hygrometer shows about 70.

if you are using an analog, "dial", therm/hygro they are very unreliable. A digital one is much more acurate. They need a minimum of 80% humidity to breath.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

8w heatpad attached to the right by the substrate wall and a space heater on the left

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Small tray of dechlorinated salt water and a full tray of dechlorinated water using zoomed conditioners

most things marketed for hermit crabs actually isn't good for them. A good dechlorinater is Prime. And for the salt water add Instant Ocean. Their pools need to be deep enough to totally submerge with a safe way in and out

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Zoomed hermit crab food. Once a week.

as stated above regarding hermit crab food,
They should be fed fresh food. Proteins and calcium. Try to use organic as often as you can. Read the safe/unsafe food list under the care section. They should have a different variety of food a couple times a week. They get bored with the same food.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

Since dec 20 2018. Purple pincher.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

No

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

Basement in a 10gallon tank.

is the lid sealed well to keep in the humidity?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

A loner. Just got him a buddy but he’s still not miving in his shell. Bew hermit crab just ignores him.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Just got two bew empty medium sized shells for him.

it's recommended you provide 3-5 shells per crab. Take a look at the shell guide.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Havent fully cleaned the tank yet. Did a wipe down of the walls just yesterday.

no need to deep clean. Just spot clean food and poop if you see it.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

I clean the water dishes every other day.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Two new shells, extra coconut substrate for added depth

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

No?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

My hermit crab doesnt move even after all my efforts to get him more comfortable and happy.

Gotbhim a new buddy, bew shells, more substrate and a climbing rock with holes inside. He just lies there... no dead fish smell, is he molting??
have you picked him up to see if he's moving? He probably isn't molting since the substrate isn't deep enough. They will sometimes surface molt if their conditions aren't very good. Then you would have to isolate him. Since neither of them are buried you can remove them and add several more inches of substrate.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Nautilusmollusc

Post by Nautilusmollusc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 am

Ya i can feel him move inside his shell. I will add more substrate. How much should inhave?

Also, side note, how do i tell if he mas mites or something like that? Mites =bad right?

Topic author
Nautilusmollusc

Post by Nautilusmollusc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 am

I decided to give him a bath in lukewarm dechlorinated water. His limbs were moving when inpicked him up. I put him in the water, rinsed him a few times in dechlorinated water, then ALL OF HISNLIMBS FELL OFF! :shock:

His antennaes are still moving so he is still alive... i put him back in the tank... are his limbs gonna grow back and is he gonna be okay?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 am

Nautilusmollusc wrote:I decided to give him a bath in lukewarm dechlorinated water. His limbs were moving when inpicked him up. I put him in the water, rinsed him a few times in dechlorinated water, then ALL OF HISNLIMBS FELL OFF! :shock:

His antennaes are still moving so he is still alive... i put him back in the tank... are his limbs gonna grow back and is he gonna be okay?
Dropping limbs indicates extreme stress. Normally a limb can grow back during a molt. But I'm not sure if they drop all their limbs. It's very possible he won't make it. I'm sorry.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:07 am

If a crab has dropped all limbs you will have to isolate it an hand feed it daily till you see gel buds forming and it is ready to molt. This is not an easy process and requires a lot of effort.

Crush eggshell and mix it with raw unpasteurized honey and some all natural peanut butter. Put some on the end of a qtip and gently hold it near the crabs mouth parts. Allow it to eat a couple of times a day and also make sure that there is access to both fresh and marine salt waters (both dechlorinated).

When gel limbs start to form you will know the crab is getting ready to be isolated to molt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Nautilusmollusc

Post by Nautilusmollusc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:24 am

ImageSo he still has two of his hind legs, i gave him a piece of crushed peanut for now and places him inside this tiny jar with some coconut substrate...

I want to bring him back... was it because i disturbed him during molting that couldve led to most of his limbs falling off?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:38 am

Nautilusmollusc wrote:ImageSo he still has two of his hind legs, i gave him a piece of crushed peanut for now and places him inside this tiny jar with some coconut substrate...

I want to bring him back... was it because i disturbed him during molting that couldve led to most of his limbs falling off?

If the crab has no claws it cannot feed itself. You will have to hand feed it and it cannot eat crushed peanut, it will need to be soft and semi liquid (think having your jaw wired shut and only being able to drink shakes or smoothies).

The tiny jar is not ideal, no.

A large margarine tub with a bit of substrate in the bottom should be better if this isn’t your only crab. If it is then just leave it in the main tank.

The best thing you can do for this crab right now is provide it with marine salt water (instant ocean crystals mixed with dechlorinated fresh tap water), dechlorinated fresh tap water, and high protein and calcium foods that are smashed up and mixed at like ketchup consistency. The honey is said to help promote healing and provide energy-which molting takes an enormous amount of.

Topic author
Nautilusmollusc

Post by Nautilusmollusc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 am

You mean keep it in dechlorinated salt water?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:39 am

Nautilusmollusc wrote:You mean keep it in dechlorinated salt water?

No. The crab needs to be placed in isolation in a large container with some substrate at the bottom or in the main tank (if no other crabs are in it).

Small bottle caps or very shallow dishes, like a tupperware lid, of water need to be placed close to the crab.

It may be able to mush it’s face into some food mixed as I stated earlier but hand feeding is the best way to be sure it is actually getting some food, however the more it is handled the more stressed out it will get so don’t pick it up or move it unless you absolutely have to.

Topic author
Nautilusmollusc

Post by Nautilusmollusc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:05 am

Thanks for your advice. How long does it take until it starts regrowing its limbs?

Will honey peanut butter on a qtip work?

Topic author
Nautilusmollusc

Post by Nautilusmollusc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm

So i’ve isolated him in a plastic container wit coconut fiber, a dish of dechlorinated salt water and been feeding him honey almond peanut butter. He still has his two hind legs and is a bit more chipper again!

How often should i be feeding him and does anyone know how long it takes for him to grow back his legs and claws?

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Im sorry, but honey flavored peanut butter is not the same as honey. There is really good advice being offered to you, but you have to follow the instructions if you wanna keep your friend. Im Sorry this is happening. Its tough we know. Just try to re read the comments and fulfill all the recommendations the best you can. Now isnt the time to skip corners n steps. I wish you great luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Nautilusmollusc wrote:So i’ve isolated him in a plastic container wit coconut fiber, a dish of dechlorinated salt water and been feeding him honey almond peanut butter. He still has his two hind legs and is a bit more chipper again!

How often should i be feeding him and does anyone know how long it takes for him to grow back his legs and claws?

They said a few times a day for hand feeding. id say 4, but thats me. Also it can take up to months and multiple molts to regrow their limbs depending on how large they are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 am

They can regrow all the limbs with one molt but the crab will be smaller and the limbs spindly and skinny looking. It will be a couple or more before it is back to it’s pre limb loss stage.

I think that honey peanut butter is better than nothing if it is just peanuts, almond and honey mixed.

Some crabbers have noticed gel buds within a week or so. Just feed it as much as it will eat and make sure it is also getting water.

When it stops eating and slows down a bit and seems sluggish after the gel buds form, put it in isolation and keep it dark so that it can molt.