Changing gender?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Madi.crab

Changing gender?

Post by Madi.crab » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:13 am

Hi all,
I was just wondering whether hermits can change gender. I have an odd dilemma about two of my crabs. A few months ago I found out I had four crabs instead of five meaning one must have died or gotten eaten or something (I cleaned out the entire tank just to check) I found the empty shell of my crab Luna who is a girl but I'm not sure if she did die. The other crab that I could've mistaken her for would be Magnus who is a boy. The one crab I'm not sure of at the moment is a girl so she must be Luna but she doesn't act like Luna at all she acts like Magnus. I'm not sure whether Magnus changed gender or what's happened but I would like to know who it could be that way I know which name to call it. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense but I just do not know what might have happened. Whether this crab is Luna or Magnus.
Thankyou in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Re: Changing gender?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:37 am

I think someone told me that the really small ones can.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:19 pm

I don't remember where I picked it up, but I heard that they can change genders.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:01 pm

I've had it happen! At least, I swore I did.

Gender in hermits is rather undefined and there is a surprising percentage of intersex individuals.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:59 pm

IIRC I read it in one of the studies LJJ had us linked to in a folder of crab academic papers and studies. I don’t have the file any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:28 am

Tony from 陸寄居蟹研究室 Tony's Coenobita Land Hermit Crabs (facebook page) sent me a paper that talked about crabs changing sex. What he doesn't know about crabs isn't worth knowing. He has a heap of scientific papers on crabs. Also some other people have commented on crabs changing sex. I can't be certain but I thought Mango was female and now definitely male but Mango is a big crab not a small one.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
Madi.crab

Post by Madi.crab » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 am

So you think it's possible that the crab that is alive is Magnus? I thought I was losing it because she definitely wasn't acting like Luna and I found her old shell empty and buried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm

Mine have changed gender. I used to have about an equal number of males and females. Now I have one large male (who used to be female) and the rest are females (except for two recent fosters who haven't been with my colony very long). They are behaving much more like a harem--reminds me quite a bit of parrotfish. I wouldn't be surprised if hermit crabs have a supermale phase much like parrotfish and wrasses.