Crab Greeting Post Molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
kaykmerr

Crab Greeting Post Molt

Post by kaykmerr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:11 pm

It appears we have survived our first molt! Hermie was nowhere to be found for 4-5 weeks but appeared today! He does not look different (same color, not very hairy) but I am unable to see if he has all of his legs (one was partially missing when we got him) so is it possible he didn’t molt and just buried himself for over a month?! Also, he is right up in another crabs face and they are seemingly “communicating” with their feelers... is this normal?

A MUCH smaller crab disappeared at the same times as Hermie and still hasn’t surfaced... is it safe to assume that crab didn’t survive its molt at this point?

Molting has brought up A LOT of questions and I have very curious children

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
kaykmerr

Re: Crab Greeting Post Molt

Post by kaykmerr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:35 pm

Maybe reestablishing dominance?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Crab Greeting Post Molt

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Congratulations on first molt! I know, it’s hard having hermit crabs with children. My boys are always so curious about them and it’s hard not having a straight answer for them bc every hermit crab is different, there really isn’t one answer for all crabbies.
Hermits can take months to molt, give him some more time, he may still pop up.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:46 am

Don't give up on the molting one yet....my smaller crab always takes longer than my larger one.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 am

I also wouldn't worry about the little guy yet. They can be sneaky and molt often, and can go a year or more only coming out in the middle of the night to eat and then bury to hide again.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram