Is my crab molting? Hasnt moved much in a few days

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Nautilusmollusc

Re: Is my crab molting? Hasnt moved much in a few days

Post by Nautilusmollusc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 pm

So i found him last night outside of his shell in the isolation tank, he,s very mich alive and i see his abdomens blueish black. Apparently thats a gland foe molting?

He smells a little bit but is responding when nudged.

I just got another 16w heating mat. Should i place it under the tank? I have a 10gallon with a 8w mat on the left side and am using a space heater right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Nautilusmollusc wrote:So i found him last night outside of his shell in the isolation tank, he,s very mich alive and i see his abdomens blueish black. Apparently thats a gland foe molting?

I just got another 16w heating mat. Should i place it under the tank? I have a 10gallon with a 8w mat on the left side and am using a space heater right now

No no the molt sac is a bubble on the side of the crab.

The crab needs to be reshelled asap. Rinse the shell in dechlorinated fresh water and make sure the crab has no bits of substrate stuck to it, pick it up very carefully just behind the head before the soft abdomen, and gently rinse it in the dechlorinated fresh water as well (make sure it’s not cold water. Room temp is fine.) Slide the crab back into the shell and allow it to situate itself.

Sometimes new to us crabs are already very ill or injured in ways we can’t tell, and the conditions were just too poor for them to survive these. We call it “post purchase stress” and unfortunately no matter what we do the crabs don’t survive. Dropping limbs, repeatedly abandoning shells (they become to weak to carry them) and going into the water naked repeatedly after reshelling are all signs that something isn’t right.

Just do the best you can for it to reshell and get isolated, and once it is in a shell don’t handle it for any reason after isolating.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Nautilusmollusc wrote:So i found him last night outside of his shell in the isolation tank, he,s very mich alive and i see his abdomens blueish black. Apparently thats a gland foe molting?

Even though they are called under tank heaters for crabs they are never put under the tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:47 am

I am sorry I am just now seeing this message - but if you are in Florida I am willing to help you with your hermit
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

msmissy032

Post by msmissy032 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:55 am

I am not in Florida. Should I re-bury him? The other crabs aren't messing with him.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Never rebury a crab. It can suffocate him.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:14 am

Can you put him back in with the other with the top of a 2 gallon soda bottle (rinsed thoroughly with dechlorinated water) around him? Keep feeding him with the Q tip as suggested above.

Can I ask what area you are in? Maybe someone here is near you and can help.

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Investing in a bigger isolation tank is probably a good idea at this point, if you keep your hermit crab in a small area it's just gonna make matters worse by causing more stress. Even in the iso tank provide at least 3'' of substrate. Play sand (NOT COLORED SAND) and coconut fiber is recommended. Don't cut any corners when it comes to your crabs and NEVER use table salt in place of aquarium salt. Give them many varieties of food not just crab pellets and such, my crabbies love fruit and veggies!!!
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Also give them a good selection of shells to change into and NEVER touch them more than you need to. I only touch mine like once every month for like 5 seconds and only for check-ups
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Any news on the little dude?
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:21 pm

Scuttlecrusty, a separate iso tank isn't always possible or even necessary. A 2L pop bottle or other similar container with ventilation holes is a perfectly acceptable method of isolating a crab.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Yeah I understand that, I was just sugesting (sorry for spelling) that if keeping crabs long term is in mind you might need another tank not just for molting but also for if the crabs get sick or if they fight and can't live in the same tank