Molting?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Prosati

Molting?

Post by Prosati » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi, I recently got 3 new land hermit crabs. They were pretty. I had their 10 gallon tank set up with a couple inches of coconut fiber substrate for about 3/4 and about 1/4 of sand with a side mounted heat pad. I made sure I was able to keep the humidity and temperature consistent for a few days before getting the crabs. Once I brought them home, one of them, named Roll, changed shells that very night! He is definitely the biggest out of the 3. They all seem to get along well and they all like to sleep and hideout in a little coconut shelter that has moss in it.

Recently, I noticed that another one of my crabs, Spike, started acting like he was digging in one spot although not really moving. Today as I was changing the food and water and adding some more substrate, I found the top of his shell buried in the substrate. I did not touch it and left it alone as I finished changing things.
- could this be him molting? The shell has been there all day long and I do not plan on picking it up to see if he is inside.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:27 pm

He may be, he also may just be chilling.

Regardless, as long as the substrate is deep enough - I encourage to have at least 6 inches, but more is certainly better! - it gives them sufficient depth to moult without being disturbed.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Prosati

Re: Molting?

Post by Prosati » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:50 am

I think it may be molting because when I got up this morning, there was a lot of substrate moved over the spot and I can see what looks like a little tunnel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk