Crayfish...

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
altricious

Crayfish...

Post by altricious » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 pm

So, we have a crayfish. She's beautiful and bright orange and full of personality.

I only have one problem. I can't find an online resource that is even half as good as the HCA forums! You guys rock and I know we're all lovers of the unusual here. So, anyone know of a good online community for crayfish keepers?

Thanks

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Crayfish...

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:39 am

Fishlore has a fairly decent amount of crayfish keepers, and a subforum for just crayfish. It is a large forum with a lot of active newbies, so just keep that in mind while reading advice and responses. ;)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:40 am

In saying that, take any advise you get with a grain of salt and use better judgement. If they can't explain their answer, I'm usually hesitant to follow through with their advise....

But thats just me...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

jclee

Post by jclee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:32 pm

fishlore's a good start. petshrimp.com and skfaquatics.com also have crayfish subforums, perhaps with a higher density of experienced keepers than fishlore.
120G with 5 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, most are jumbo by this point.
I have a bunch of other critters, too! You can see them all here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Hey, what type/size of tank do you keep him/her in? I've always admired those crustaceans and their colors.
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Topic author
altricious

Post by altricious » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:02 pm

LandFishh wrote:Hey, what type/size of tank do you keep him/her in? I've always admired those crustaceans and their colors.
She's in a 20 gal. It has a nice home built external filter and we redecorate it regularly to keep things interesting for her. Bored crayfish are unhappy crayfish. Right now she lives with a snail, a algae eater and a feeder goldfish. Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:56 pm

So pretty! I didn’t even know keeping crayfish as pets was a ‘thing’ til I landed on here! But I think they’re beautiful, and I love learning more about them and seeing the pics. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Wow! What great colors. Thats also such a large space! I'm assuming she's pretty high maintenance considering how often you change the decorations. How often does she molt? I know that crayfish tend to change color more than most crustaceans.
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Topic author
altricious

Post by altricious » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:58 pm

They molt according to growth so it depends. She eats well so she has molted a few times over the last few months. She's pretty much full size now so we're only expecting one more anytime soon.

Tank size recommendations seem to be all over the place on the internet. They're definitely territorial, not the social butterflies that our hermies are. But they do like stimulation and hiding spots so I wouldn't want to go smaller than the 20 for her even if I believed the smaller recommendations.

They're surprisingly smart and active. Apparently pretty good escapists too but we've got a tight tank. She knows her people and will take treats from our hands. Awesome pets all aroundImage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Wow! So pretty! I've only seen blue ones down here. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com