10 gal crab tank

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Hermiesguardian

Re: 10 gal crab tank

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Plasmoc wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:10 pm
Thanks @scuttlecrusty! How does that work with hermit crabs? Do you cover it in plastic to keep the humidity in? If you do a half one how to you cover the other part of the tank where a lid should be?

Sorry I’m moving next week and was really hoping to upgrade from 10 gallon to a 20 gallon, but it’s outside of my budget right now. Wondering if there’s an inexpensive way to do this to give my little guys more room until I can upgrade. $100+ for a tank is ouch right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check craigslist for deals on tanks. Also the apps Offerup and Letgo. I got a 90 gal with stand for $200.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:42 pm

Yep- what they said! Always great deals on LetGo in my area, hopefully yours will be the same! Good luck, I bet you’ll find a steal someplace.

Also, I would be interested to know/see how the tank topper bit works with the crabbies! Thanks!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:37 pm

curlysister wrote:Thanks for the correction, Aussie. I suppose I am using the old 80/80 for temp and humidity - which is half way between the ideal 75-85%, LOL.
Was thinking for the OP, that if it's usually 70-75% and dips to 60%, it could use some boosting to be in the ideal range the majority of the time.
I do it myself as well, and automatically do 80/80... it's easy to remember!

Funny thing is, old advice use to be keeping the heat and humidity much lower than it is today. I vaguely remember crabbers panicking as the temperatures in their tank hit in the low to mid 80's F, and anything over 80% humidity was bad!

*slight sidetrack by me*

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:27 pm

The 80/80 is the easiest to remember. I bet the information changes on here because someone way back men said they saw more activity at and above certain temperature then someone else did it, then another.

I know I always say my guys are more active when the temperature is in the low 80's compared to mid 70's. I always try to let people know that mid 70's temperature is ok.

There is actually a butt ton of excellent information in the Care Sheets, Guides and FAQ area. All beginners should definitely spend 30 minutes reading through a majority of the guides. Some of the info is more than what most people will ever need to know and can be confusing at first but they are extremely helpful when starting out. I bet I trolled on here for a good 2-3 months reading that stuff and tweaking our tank single 20 G before signing up. I still refer to them for something I may be looking for.

CARE SHEETS AND GUIDES
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... .php?f=120
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Plasmoc wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:07 am
@Blookittie where did you get that large winding tree limb from? Are your crabs able to climb it?

What is a tank topper? I’ve seen that mentioned here before but haven’t figured out how it works.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! It's a fake vine that I got from the pet store when I got my crabs. It's made of a wire covered in a rubber-like material with bits of organic-looking stuff covering it. It's easy for them to climb and they love it!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:55 pm

I saw that type of branch one day, and maybe it was a diff brand but the same thing, but it was really pricey! I’m talking the small one at my PetSmart was something crazy like $20+!! I had the lady take it off, but I also thought it would be a great addition! So, moral is, I’m going to watch for a sale on those... I hope I catch one bc they are really neat.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:55 pm
I saw that type of branch one day, and maybe it was a diff brand but the same thing, but it was really pricey! I’m talking the small one at my PetSmart was something crazy like $20+!! I had the lady take it off, but I also thought it would be a great addition! So, moral is, I’m going to watch for a sale on those... I hope I catch one bc they are really neat.

My crabs climb theirs all the time.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:17 pm

$20?! That's crazy! I don't remember how much mine was, but I'm thinking around ten dollars... It was definitely worth it though.
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:31 am

Yeah, I’m thinking it had to be misprinted or something, but it was the same day I was getting the crabs (they were up there already waiting on me) and just didn’t wanna deal with reallllly finding out. Obviously I think they’re super cool, cause I was definitely gonna get that one if it had been in budget. I am glad you reminded me to follow up on it later though.

Dave the Wondercrab~ Patpat the Scaredy Cat~*Prince~ MaggieMoo- Dumbo~ Billy

Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:35 pm

Thanks it looks so cool I’ll keep an eye out for one on sale too!