Molting?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Molting?

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 am

Hi guys!! SO I haven't seen my crab for 2 days.....I've looked ALL OVER the crabitat and no luck finding him at all. The crabitat has no way for him to excape so that's not a worry. Neither of my crabs have molted for me yet and I've had them for over 2 months (I know that doesn't matter but I just wanted to make it clear) I looked in the salt pool just to make certain he wasn't drowned. Where could he be? I don't think he's dead bc I don't smell anything. My substrate is about 6'' or 7'', could he just be de-stressing? :?
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

crabby33

Re: Molting?

Post by crabby33 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:48 am

This forum strongly advises against digging for your crabs. They can be down for weeks or even months, but that depends on the size of the crab. It took my biggest crab 6 weeks to begin the shedding process. Yours may just be de-stressing since it’s new. You have a good substrate depth but just be patient. I know it’s hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Yep, could be molting or could be de-stressing, or could just be digging for fun, LOL. As Crabby33 said, be patient, and don't dig him up!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Wotu crabs it can be funny. They could be doing one or the other. I have one guy. My smallestt pp extreamy shy since I rescued him about two weeks ago. He digs down durring the day and comes out at night. I am hopping he will adjust eventually. I only know thus because I will at least ince a week check a few hours after lights out to see what is gping on since I dont have a fancy camera set up yet.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:41 pm

:crabbigsmile: Yeah my crabs usually go down often just for fun :) If he IS molting I hope it goes well and everything will be fine! I will NOT be digging around for him and I will give him all the time he needs.
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 am

:shock: Ok so I found my crab, he isn't dead and they are both healthy but they are literally digging in the same hole.....what if they molt together? I'm starting to worry because I'm a first timer at this molting stuff.
:molted::

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 am

I do not know what to do about them molting together, but how did you find your crab? The two crabs will probably leave one another.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 am

If you have places for them to hide, then he could go somewhere in there, but chances are that they have dug down when you no longer see them. When my crabs go down to molt, I usually notice they've disappeared after not seeing them for more than three days, and I leave it alone. I don't really keep track of when molts happen either, but I always notice when they return.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:52 pm

:crabbigsmile: I found him when I was looking at my other crab that is right in front of the glass and I saw movement behind him and there was Crusty!lol

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:40 am

Ok my crab came out of the hole this morning and left the other crab to do whatever it is he's doing. :lol: I'm glad they seperated! :sleepy::