Shellfish Allergy

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
ChrisCrab

Shellfish Allergy

Post by ChrisCrab » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:33 am

I have been wanting to adopt hermit crabs for a while, but I have a shellfish allergy. I was just wondering what kind of precautions people take caring for hermit crabs with an allergy.

Thanks

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Shellfish Allergy

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 am

Hermit crabs don't actively shed, but they can produce allergens in both spit and feces. You should talk with your allergist to find out how severe your allergy is and if incidental contact is a danger. You'll have skin contact from handling and cleaning up after them, but also the possibility of airborne particles from dried feces. For someone with severe allergic reactions, it could be a real risk.

As far as their diet, watch all ingredients and steer clear of all mixes that contain shellfish and also dried seafood (like tiny sardines) as cross-contamination is common. Staying away from insects would be a good idea as well, as cross-reactions have been noted.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ChrisCrab

Post by ChrisCrab » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:37 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 am
Hermit crabs don't actively shed, but they can produce allergens in both spit and feces. You should talk with your allergist to find out how severe your allergy is and if incidental contact is a danger. You'll have skin contact from handling and cleaning up after them, but also the possibility of airborne particles from dried feces. For someone with severe allergic reactions, it could be a real risk.

As far as their diet, watch all ingredients and steer clear of all mixes that contain shellfish and also dried seafood (like tiny sardines) as cross-contamination is common. Staying away from insects would be a good idea as well, as cross-reactions have been noted.
Thanks for your reply. It was not what I wanted to hear, but your right I am going to have to contact an allergist about this. Thanks again.

hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:54 pm

The doctor told me I'm allergic to shell fish and I haven't had a problem with my crabs or their food 👍 that is just me though.

Topic author
ChrisCrab

Post by ChrisCrab » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:22 pm

hyelah1990 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:54 pm
The doctor told me I'm allergic to shell fish and I haven't had a problem with my crabs or their food 👍 that is just me though.
That's good to hear, how bad is your allergy? My throat will close if I eat shellfish. Either way I have to get it checked out, sense everyone is different with how they react.

hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:22 pm

I was at the hospital and had a reaction to IVdye, my throat closed up and I broke out all over. I was told that ment I was allergic to shellfish as well... But I would definitely check first if I were you, just to be safe.

Topic author
ChrisCrab

Post by ChrisCrab » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks, I Will. I'm interested to know if i'm allergic to the dye or protein.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:29 am

Make sure to talk with an actual allergist about the supposed shellfish allergy due to the dye reaction - it used to be taught in medical school years ago as a fact, but cross-reactivity has since been disproven. It's stuck around like an old wives' tale though! An allergist will know what to do to make sure you're kept safe without it limiting parts of your life. (I was told when I was a kid that I had an allergy to iodine - I do not - but it messed up a whole lot of tests over the years.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Bates9118

Post by Bates9118 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi! I am deathly allergic to peanuts, shrimp and shellfish and carry an Epi-Pen. I had hermit crabs as a kid and have them again now. TOTALLY fine. I even put them near my face and my mouth. Being allergic to a meat is different than a peanut allergy in my opinion... it’s not like there is peanut butter leaking out of their joints. Hard to explain, but meat allergies just seem different because they are so contained in a live animal.
Jimmy, Jimmy, Ghost and October