New to molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

New to molting

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 pm

My hermit crab has been digging atoumd in his tank for the past WEEK!!! This morning he came right up to the glass from underneath the sand but then je filled in his hole and carried on with his digging. If I place my ear against the glass I can hear him digging👍. Does it usually take this ling for them to find a place to molt or is he just digging for the fun of it? I've been posting a lot on this topic so I apologize😂lol. Is there any thing special I should be doing for the possibly molting crab??? Other than don't dig him up😂

:molted::
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Re: New to molting

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Sorry for they wonky spelling😂I typed to fast
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:36 pm

They are funny creatures. Hard to say if digging just for the fun of it, or looking for a place to molt. Nothing special you need to do, just keep the tank conditions ideal.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

MercifulRabbit

Post by MercifulRabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:48 am

Not sure. My hermit crab began digging and eating a lot for at least a month, he seemed very active then all of a sudden when I added some more substrate he stopped and acted very lethargic. Couple days later he surface molted.
If they show other signs of molting (eating more, drinking more, bathing more, possibly more active all together), then stop all of a sudden and barely move at all, they may be preparing to molt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:14 pm

MercifulRabbit wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:48 am
Not sure. My hermit crab began digging and eating a lot for at least a month, he seemed very active then all of a sudden when I added some more substrate he stopped and acted very lethargic. Couple days later he surface molted.
If they show other signs of molting (eating more, drinking more, bathing more, possibly more active all together), then stop all of a sudden and barely move at all, they may be preparing to molt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surface molting usually means that there's something not quite right with your tank conditions. Is your sub at least 6"?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi