What kind of wood is this??

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:27 pm

I found this in my father in laws basement and we used it for an iguana years ago. Does anyone know what kind of wood it is? I just bought a Mopani and it's disappointing compared to this, I want to use both. But any advice on if this piece is safe to use? ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What kind of wood is this??

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:49 am

To me, it looks like cypress. But I could be wrong, just what it looks like to me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 pm

Hey! I know it’s been a few days, and I checked with my husband who is basically an expert on this sort of stuff (and he’s super good at identifying basically anything. He said I’d have to challenge him next time! Smartalek .) Anyway, the answer is... driftwood Pine root. He added
“Probably Bristlecone which is quite rare. But comes from Oregon, Washington and upstate Cali.” He also showed me a few comparison pieces in pics and I have to agree- and it’s a really cool piece of wood.

Oh! And @JJaussiedude- he also said the cypress you were likely thinking of is similar but usually more holey. I can’t comment re: that but thought I’d see if you agreed with that or not!
Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo~Billy-Lil Monster~Thing1~Thing2

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What kind of wood is this??

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 pm

All good. I would have little to no idea on accurately IDing wood from the US... :) It was more a stab in the dark, since it does look like cypress that I've used in my aquariums at one stage.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies