PP?

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Overmountain1

PP?

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Ok, I need to know if I’m seeing things, or if this little one really is different. I noticed his not round eyes today- I adopted him last Sunday but have been trying to let them get settled and not stressed. But in visiting with this one toDAY, while he was up, it made me question if he’s an unusual PP or if he might be something else. His color is fairly uniform all over, a pinkish-bluish-lavender brown tone, including his big fat claw! I couldn’t get a great shot of the color in the pics but it is close, and can’t get a good one of his big fat bp either. But here are the eyes pretty clearly, and a funny pic of him saying hi just for fun.
So, my more experienced crabbers- is he just a little bit different PP, or is he something else? Thanks for looking! I’m having a tough time with this one.

ImageImageImageImage

Edit- oops! Didn’t mean to post in this section, sorry. Thanks! Image
ImageDave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo~Billy-Lil Monster~Thing1~Thing2Image
Last edited by Overmountain1 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PP?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:09 pm

To me, he looks like a PP. But in saying that, can you get some nice clear pics of his BP, and in particular him folded up in the shell?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:11 pm

He looks like a pp to me. They have all kinds of colors. I have some that are orange, pink, red, dark brown, purple. They also sometimes change colors when they molt. Cute crabby!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Overmountain1

PP?

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Yep, I’ll try to get a couple more when he comes back out- he’s made a nice little cave under the moss pit he likes to hide in. I was expecting him to be a PP, and if his eyes were more round I’d have not questioned it a bit. All my others have button round eyes, so this guy threw me a bit, with his more oblong eyes.
If I can get some better, and more clear, shots as requested I’ll def share to confirm. Thanks guys!

Xeno- thanks! He’s been my most curious and friendly little new guy so far.

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo~Billy-Lil Monster~Thing1~Thing2

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:46 am

I got a couple more, and also agree just a PP now, but those eyes man- they are so adorable, and so not round shaped lol! But they’re cute pics so I had to share anyway! Image and he has an official new name- meet Ten, named after one of the first to climb Mt Everest. He’s a climber all right- my son and I were visiting with Ten, and he enjoyed climbing all the way up us and perching on my shoulder and his hood. You’ll see. Image He’s a sweetie though!
ImageImageImageImage

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo~Billy-Lil Monster~Thing1~Thing2Image

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:38 pm

It looks to be a PP to me, but what a giant BP he has!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Yep, he's totally a PP! Some pics in the first lot were giving me Indo vibes, so I had a hard time being 100% sure.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:12 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Yep, he's totally a PP! Some pics in the first lot were giving me Indo vibes, so I had a hard time being 100% sure.
That’s what I was thinking too! I couldn’t tell, those eyes and that bp had me confused, I thought he could possibly be an Indo. I think I wanted him to be an Indo. Lol!

He sure is a handsome little fella! I love that 3rd picture! He looks so tough, that wide crabby stance, I love it! <3

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Who♡Fearless♡Crimson♡LittleBit

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks everyone! We sure like him an awful lot. And he does have a particularly large BP! Ten is just a unique little crabbie.

And yeah, I wouldn’t have had an objection if he had been an Indo! They’re so neat! Someday.

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo~Billy~Lil Monster~Ten~and Thing2?

aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:12 pm

I wonder if the big claw could also be due to a previous bad molt which makes the rest of his limbs smaller than the claw? I have had a crab lose several limbs and then they molt and have the smaller limbs that have grown back which makes everything look out of proportion. It's just a thought. The lightness of his coloration would indicate that as well actually now that I think about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk