What kind of she’ll should I get?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Oliviet#1

What kind of she’ll should I get?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 pm

I am going to get hermit crabs soon, and I need to get shells. I am planning on having around 4 or 5 PP teeny or small hermit crabs so I will need around 20 shells. I saw PP hermit crabs prefer turbo shells with circle ⭕️ openings. What sized shell openings should I get for teeny and small sized crabs? I’m thinking maybe 3/4” - 2”?
Last edited by Oliviet#1 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

odelayheehoo

Re: What kind of she’ll should I get?

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:48 am

You don't usually measure the shell, you measure the opening in the shell to judge what you need for your crabs. You should make the extra shells slightly smaller than the ones they are currently wearing with a variation. I have small shells ranging up to very large ones to accommodate all of my crabs at different sizes.

So, if the crabs you get are wearing shells with an opening at roughly 1/2" then you should get shells that measure about 5/8" to 3/4" and so on. I have a crab that wears a 1 1/8" opening, so I have extra shells that measure 1 1/4".

I hope this has helped, if you have further questions just ask!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 am

Does everyone buy the shells before or after they get the hermit crabs? And thank you.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

mortemarts

Post by mortemarts » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 am

Oliviet#1 wrote:Does everyone buy the shells before or after they get the hermit crabs? And thank you.
Get the shells after you get your hermits. This will allow you to measure their existing shell and find good shell sizes to fit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:11 am

You should also get shells that are a bit larger.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi