making molting safer

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Choandchip

making molting safer

Post by Choandchip » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Hello everyone, I am very sad today because I have just discovered that my crab, Cookie, has most likely passed during molting. I had noticed he had gone into molt, and weeks later I looked under the hut he had been underneath, and found him with a little bit of mold on him. :(

I have created a quarantine tank for my other crabs for the time being. I went online and read a story about a crab possibly being alive despite having a little mold on them. I’m praying, but most likely he isn’t, or has not, made it.

I’m beating myself up over it, but I just need to know, is there anything I could’ve done? I don’t want this to ever happen to my other crabs. How can i make molting safer for my babies? I try to be the absolute best owner I can be, but I really don’t feel it right now. He has never had any issues with molting before, nor have any of my crabs. They have plenty of substrate 6-8 in(29 gal) and their humidity and heat is always perfect. I just don’t understand. Thanks for any replies :)

mortemarts

Re: making molting safer

Post by mortemarts » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Does he have a horrible odor of stinky fish? If so he might be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Please copy and past the 'emergency' template so we can help trouble shoot.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Choandchip

Post by Choandchip » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:55 am

mortemarts wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 pm
Does he have a horrible odor of stinky fish? If so he might be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s the thing- he doesn’t. Any other crabs has always had a very strong smell and he does not