They're keeping a hermit crab in my son's classroom and it was our turn to take it home for spring break. This was a little over a week ago. The setup: single crab in a tiny container with maybe 1/2 inch of sand, nothing to hide under. I added sand (from the beach) as high as it would fit in one corner, maybe 2 1/2 inch, and the crab dug all the way to the bottom of the container the first night. No smell so far, I could still see it move (from the bottom) for some days, so I guess it is molting?
With no experience with hermit crabs I have a ton of questions for when the crab hopefully comes back up:
- I read you shouldn't touch the crab for a while after the molt. Do I leave the crab in the tiny container before moving it to a bigger on? If so, how long?
- What does the crab need right after coming up? I read about ground up eggshells and vitamins, which vitamins do I get?
- Can I move the container with the crab back to the school during the molt, or should it stay where it is for now?
- I purchased a couple of unpainted shells for the crab to choose from after the molt but the container is so tiny. Can this wait until the crab moves to a bigger container, or just put them all in there?
- Anything else I need to take care of during or after the molt?