Play Sand Brands?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
newcrabbymomma

Play Sand Brands?

Post by newcrabbymomma » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 pm

Hello! I just recently adopted my first 3 purple pincher hermit crabs :) I’m looking into getting play sand for their tank but it doesn’t seem like the suggested brands are available anywhere near me! So I was wondering if the brands I have found are okay.

The first brand I found was AllTreat Farms play sand, I wasn’t able to find any sort of ingredients list for it but the site said it was safe for sand boxes and horse shoe pits. It also says that the sand is fine, granulated and screened sand.

The second brand I found was Shaw Resources play sand. The site says it’s composed of 98% quartz and is salt-free, washed, screened, and dried. The site also says it’s safe for sand boxes and as a soft cushion for children’s play area.

If needed, I can provide links to the sites or pictures of them :) Also, if these brands aren’t safe, does anyone know of any brands readily available in Home Hardware, Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowe’s in Canada? Thank you so much! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Play Sand Brands?

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:34 pm

The Shaw one sounds closest to what we use in the US!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:16 am

I always buy Quickrete at Home Depot.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51 am

I have never bought anything different than the Quickrete brand as well, it's color will vary depending where you are located.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:50 pm

OP is in Canada, so brands and availability will be completely different then what we're used to seeing the states!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Yes, I am in Canada. Quickrete is the brand at the closest Home Depot.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:42 pm

what about pre washed natural decorative sand?
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:57 pm

What is that sand made of? It sounds like it would be far more expensive than a bag of play sand.

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:02 pm

It's just washed, natural sand from the beach.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:28 pm

What makes it 'decorative' then?

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm

Well, that's what they call it, but I guess it's just sand. What other brands do you recommend?

-Ruth A. J. G.

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:09 pm

are there some cheap good brands online?

-Ruth A. J. G.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 pm

I bough three bricks or eco earth for around $9.99 usd from petsmart and a fifty pound bag of silica based playsand from Lowe’s for less than 5 usd.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Unless you could find a place that shipped for free, I imagine that shipping costs could make buying online really expensive. The 50lb bags of play sand are the most economical way to buy. Most people find them at hardware stores.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:08 am

Any silica based sand that has been washed and screened and says that it is safe for kids should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk