80 gallon bow front upgrade!!!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Re: 80 gallon bow front upgrade!!!

Post by ciaraalston » Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Nice. I want to upgrade (I only bought this tank less than 2 years ago and I already want a bigger one lol) and I think bowfronts look the nicest but there is the question about what to do for the lid. I made the lid on my current tat myself out of wood but my carpentry skills are limited to shapes with 90 degree angles. What's ur plan?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I actually used egg crate for the lid! I will post a pic when I get home from work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:17 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Nice. I want to upgrade (I only bought this tank less than 2 years ago and I already want a bigger one lol) and I think bowfronts look the nicest but there is the question about what to do for the lid. I made the lid on my current tat myself out of wood but my carpentry skills are limited to shapes with 90 degree angles. What's ur plan?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I agree! I love the bowfronts, they are so elegant looking. They do make the glass canopy lids, like for the regular sized tanks but they are pretty pricey. I love the diy lid video, it’s definitely great way to go. I can’t wait to see how you made your lid, Ciara. Your tank is one of my favorites that I’ve seen, I am so in love with the bow fronts.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri May 03, 2019 4:47 pm

So here's how I did my lid:

I cut the egg crate to fit the top, it staggers around the curved front like so:

I then cut a large hole in the center, big enough to remove my water bowls and such when needed.
I cut a spare piece to fit that over hole, and overlap about 3 squares.
I wrapped both pieces separately in seran wrap.
Then I siliconed the large piece onto the tank .
I ziptied the back of the smaller piece loosely so that it's like a hinge.
Here's some pictures, because I'm horrible at explaining haha!

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote: I agree! I love the bowfronts, they are so elegant looking. They do make the glass canopy lids, like for the regular sized tanks but they are pretty pricey. I love the diy lid video, it’s definitely great way to go. I can’t wait to see how you made your lid, Ciara. Your tank is one of my favorites that I’ve seen, I am so in love with the bow fronts.
Thank you! A bowfront was my dream! I'm absolutely in love with it!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:51 pm

That is so cool! You did an awesome job, very creative. The things us crabbers can come up with, the possibilities are endless.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:That is so cool! You did an awesome job, very creative. The things us crabbers can come up with, the possibilities are endless. Image
Right!?!? We tried a couple of ideas, but this one was the best so we went with it lol. It doesnt look the greatest but I'm okay with it. Its practical lol

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:32 pm

It doesn’t look bad, it’s efficient and very creative.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 pm

I’m sorry you lost one of your crabs🙁.Great job on the tank though!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️