Help

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CristiS84

Help

Post by CristiS84 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 pm

My daughter brought home some pp crabs. I need help on the type of and size of a under tank heater and a thing for the humidity for a 10 gallon tank.
Thanks!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue May 14, 2019 6:43 am

CristiS84 wrote:My daughter brought home some pp crabs. I need help on the type of and size of a under tank heater and a thing for the humidity for a 10 gallon tank.
Thanks!
Heating:
Ignore what it says on the package. You want something that at least covers the entire back of the tank, above the substrate line. So it be around 20inch x 6-8 inches. Should keep it rather warm, and insulating the sides of the tank will also help retain heat if you live in a cooler climate.

Some brands of UTH (under tank heater) can also be insulated, which also helps redirect heat back into the tank as well as retaining heat into the tank. A popular brand many use here is called Ultratherm, which can be found online such as reptile basics and Bean farm.

As for humidity, in a well setup tank often extra sources of humidity isnt needed beyond a moss pit or adding some airstones to the water pools. Keep the tank well sealed, and it should help retain humidity.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies