Crab Camera?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
3dogs4eyes

Crab Camera?

Post by 3dogs4eyes » Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 am

Hi all!
I'm interested in setting up a crab-cam so we can see the little dudes at night and during the day while we are out at work. Can I see how some of you have your cameras set up to see a good portion of the tank? Any brand recommendations? I'm sure my kids would love night vision of the crabbies that they could see at bedtime.

We have a 29 Gallon tank at the moment with a hinged glass lid.
Mom to 2 kids, 3 dogs, and 3 PP crabbies.

ciaraalston

Re: Crab Camera?

Post by ciaraalston » Tue May 14, 2019 8:05 am

A lot of crabbers use Wyze cams. I have a couple as well in my house. They're cheap and work well, even with night vision! They have motion detection so when the crabs start moving it will record. You will need to add a SD card.

As for set up, some use the magnet it came with, others use soap dishes, etc. I'll say the magnet is really strong!! Ours are mounted up high with the magnet and they have not fell in 6 months, even with dogs running into the cord lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 am

We also have the WYZE cams. They work great. Occasionally ours don't connect to WiFi but it isn't a big deal. We just keep ours on top of the glass lids so we can move them around. The only issues we have really is if we mist the moss pit sometimes the glass fogs up and you can't really see. In night mode if there is any sand or spots on the glass it makes it a little more difficult to see the action.

I just took these a few minutes ago for this post.ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

RiNiKy506

Crab Camera?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 pm

I have Wyze cams too, they are really great. You really can’t beat the price and I think they’re just as good as some of the more expensive home security cameras we’ve had. I also use the magnet it came with to mount it on the inside of the tank. I think I’ve had them about 7/8 months mounted inside the tank, one of them is next to my ultratherm with no issues. It really gives peace of mind being able to see your crabbies and they don’t know your watching.

Topic author
3dogs4eyes

Post by 3dogs4eyes » Tue May 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks so much for your input everyone! And especially for the great pics Motorcrab! I'll look into the Wyze cameras and play around with a setup ASAP. The prices do look really reasonable!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 14, 2019 4:49 pm

No problem, I'm glad you like the cam pics!

The only other thing I can think of with the Wyze cams is that your WiFi mst be a 2.5 GHz connection. 5 GHz is not supported.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 am

I would love to have some of these!!! I'd be nice to know what my crabs do all night :hlol: They probably have a little party every night :congrats:

:crabbigsmile: :laugh::
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
3dogs4eyes

Post by 3dogs4eyes » Wed May 29, 2019 7:43 pm

So excited! I got my Wyze Crabby Cam set up tonight! Can’t want to start watching! Thanks for the help and info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk