Do hermies hide shells?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Misombra

Do hermies hide shells?

Post by Misombra » Thu May 30, 2019 4:45 am

A little back story:

Scooby is my shell swapper, he loves changing shells. After I got him he changed to a better shell, a brown one. Then he changed to a green one, I guess that wasn't good so he went back to the brown one.

2 days ago, Daphne finally changed from her arrival shell to another brown shell, just like Scooby's. I feel Scooby didnt like this because he changed his shell to another brown one, similar but not the same. What did Daphne did last night? You guess it, she changed to a shell similar to the one Scooby has, to the point I mistake her for Scooby.

So I started looking around to see what else were they up to last night and noticed the 2 shells, they had on are no where to be found lol. I have no idea where they are, and who hid them.

Oliviet#1

Re: Do hermies hide shells?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:12 am

Lol I have heard of people saying that their crabs burry the shells.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 am

Yeah, mine bury shells sometimes. I'm not sure if they purposefully bury them, or if when they are digging, shells just get covered up with substrate.
Do you have lots of shells for them to choose from? They could be swapping so much because they aren't happy with what they have on - or of course they could be doing it because crabs are funny people. :)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu May 30, 2019 9:11 am

Most of my shells are in the shell shop because of this, however recently I've been putting a few back on the substrate again. They sure do love to bury things!
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Misombra

Post by Misombra » Thu May 30, 2019 11:36 am

curlysister wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 am
Yeah, mine bury shells sometimes. I'm not sure if they purposefully bury them, or if when they are digging, shells just get covered up with substrate.
Do you have lots of shells for them to choose from? They could be swapping so much because they aren't happy with what they have on - or of course they could be doing it because crabs are funny people. :)
Mine are in a particular part, all together and theres no digging around them, so I feel a little one did this on purpose lol. I have about 3 shells per crab, I do feel I need to get some more, and going to wait until I get home to measure them and ask for help here, cause even with a digital caliper I am still at a loss on shells sizes/how to measure etc.
I ordered before I even got them but some of them are way too big.

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:55 pm

I just moved and dug up my 55 gal tank and there were at least 10 shells buried. I don't know if it was intentional or if they just got buried when they dug.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:54 am

My Es did constantly. They would drag them into their tunnels never to be seen again. The PPs didnt seem to be so deliberate, but if they were on the ground they would get buried accidentally.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 pm

When I had ants last week, I had to replace the substrate. I found so many shells underground! Some were rather deep so I think it’s deliberate.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:12 pm

teachincrabbie wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 pm
When I had ants last week, I had to replace the substrate. I found so many shells underground! Some were rather deep so I think it’s deliberate.
Ungrateful creatures. :hlol: And we just keep buying them new shells.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi