Butterfly hatched!

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

odelayheehoo

Re: Butterfly hatched!

Post by odelayheehoo » Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 pm

Beautiful! :)
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:41 am

Beautiful! I'm sure you know you shouldn't handle these butterflies other than to release...right? Their wings aren't as hardy as Monarchs. Every time you are moving them to different places to take pictures you are removing scales from their wings. (I've raised butterflies for almost 15 years now) :) Monarchs, Swallowtails- (Pipevine/Tiger/Eastern), Zebra Longwings, Gulf Fritillaries, and Painted Ladies.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:56 pm

That’s so amazing! I would love to do something like that, but I just don’t find many caterpillars around our area. (Except pests) If we find a good one this year as we have in the past I may be in touch!
He is gorgeous- congrats!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:08 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Beautiful! I'm sure you know you shouldn't handle these butterflies other than to release...right? Their wings aren't as hardy as Monarchs. Every time you are moving them to different places to take pictures you are removing scales from their wings. (I've raised butterflies for almost 15 years now) :) Monarchs, Swallowtails- (Pipevine/Tiger/Eastern), Zebra Longwings, Gulf Fritillaries, and Painted Ladies.
I never ever touch there wings. This was my first butterfly of the year so we went a little crazy on pictures. We first put him on my butterfly feeder then he climbed onto the snap dragons next to that. Then my sister really wanted him on the Gerbera daisy, and then I remembered they love the hibiscus. For some reason if I put my finger in front of my butterflies they walk right onto my hand, but I do not touch their wings. I usually put them on a flower get some pictures and then go back inside, and then wait for them to fly of. And wow you have raised alot of butterflies. I have only been raising giant swallowtails for four years.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:That’s so amazing! I would love to do something like that, but I just don’t find many caterpillars around our area. (Except pests) If we find a good one this year as we have in the past I may be in touch! Image
He is gorgeous- congrats!

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan
Thank you! You could try researching into how to attract butterflies. That might help.

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Overmountain1

Butterfly hatched!

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks! I’ve bought more perennials this year that will hopefully help with this too! I will have more flowering trees in a few years too. It’s a process but I have goals- a full English garden complete with greenhouse one day. It’s good to dream! Thank you so much for sharing!

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:Thanks! I’ve bought more perennials this year that will hopefully help with this too! I will have more flowering trees in a few years too. It’s a process but I have goals- a full English garden complete with greenhouse one day. It’s good to dream! Image Thank you so much for sharing!

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan
You're welcome! And please share once you reach your goals it sounds amazing!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Definitely! I won’t be able to help myself hehe. I have two hobbies- green stuff and crabs, and I like to share!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:58 pm

To attract butterflies you need both nectar and host plants. Nectar for food. Host for Caterpillars :)

In all of my years ~ I’ve never seen butterflies like oranges, watermelon or sugar water unless they are in captivity. Butterflies prefer flowers. Don’t waste your money on butterfly feeders.

Butterfly wings need at least 2 hours to dry after emerging, and then they need solar power to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:10 pm

GotButterflies wrote:To attract butterflies you need both nectar and host plants. Nectar for food. Host for Caterpillars :)

In all of my years ~ I’ve never seen butterflies like oranges, watermelon or sugar water unless they are in captivity. Butterflies prefer flowers. Don’t waste your money on butterfly feeders.

Butterfly wings need at least 2 hours to dry after emerging, and then they need solar power to fly.

Thank you!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:31 pm

My pleasure

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:29 pm

Agreed- thank you! We will be on the lookout in our field and in the apple orchard too, after I make a few adjustments here.