Humidity

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
FairyDefender

Humidity

Post by FairyDefender » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:51 am

So I'm planning an upgrade to a 50 gallon terrarium. I will need to cover the screen top but I'm wondering should I leave a small gap for air flow or seal it up completely. Right now I have a smaller terrarium with gap for air flow but I seem to lose quite a bit of humidity even though it's a small gap. I just don't want to suffocate them or cause bacteria. The terrarium does have some air flow openings in the front below the doors and in the back where the wires go in and out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Humidity

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:45 am

FairyDefender wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:51 am
So I'm planning an upgrade to a 50 gallon terrarium. I will need to cover the screen top but I'm wondering should I leave a small gap for air flow or seal it up completely. Right now I have a smaller terrarium with gap for air flow but I seem to lose quite a bit of humidity even though it's a small gap. I just don't want to suffocate them or cause bacteria. The terrarium does have some air flow openings in the front below the doors and in the back where the wires go in and out.

You can completely seal it. They get enough air flow when you feed them.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:26 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: You can completely seal it. They get enough air flow when you feed them.
Oh good! I'm sure that will help with humidity I really don't want to have to get a humidifier & risk flooding. It's really dry here in winter.

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:49 am

I like glass tops. It gets dry here in Minnesota in winter too. Stays nice and warm and humid. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare