Not molting, not dead, where is he?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
AirConditioner

Not molting, not dead, where is he?

Post by AirConditioner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 pm

So I haven't seen Leonardo in a while and there is no sign of him coming up from under the substrate and I'm not sure why. He just molted and I don't smell anything so I know he's not dead but I feel like he might end up that way if he continues to stay under like this. It's been a couple weeks at least and I'm not sure what to do, I would hate for something to happen to him again!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Not molting, not dead, where is he?

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:26 pm

I wouldn't worry about him too much. I really think they like to just mess with us by hiding. Are you sure he isn't coming up at night to eat then hides again by morning? I have three purples that will hide or molt for two months at a time. They will be active a few weeks then go back to hiding. They hide more than they are up. They also but not all the time will come out at night. For a while after we just rescued them they would emerge between 10:30-11pm every night like clockwork only to be down by dawn.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
AirConditioner

Post by AirConditioner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:30 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I wouldn't worry about him too much. I really think they like to just mess with us by hiding. Are you sure he isn't coming up at night to eat then hides again by morning? I have three purples that will hide or molt for two months at a time. They will be active a few weeks then go back to hiding. They hide more than they are up. They also but not all the time will come out at night. For a while after we just rescued them they would emerge between 10:30-11pm every night like clockwork only to be down by dawn.
No, Usually there is a clear mess of substrate where the crabs dig, and I haven't seen any since he went under.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:01 am

How long ago did he molt? How long was he under that time? I wouldn't be too worried, they don't always leave a sand pile or any other sign of where they went down.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:15 am

curlysister wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:01 am
How long ago did he molt? How long was he under that time? I wouldn't be too worried, they don't always leave a sand pile or any other sign of where they went down.
That's right- I had the exact same situation a while ago... One crab stayed under a long time after molting, I left him alone, and I didn't see any sand being moved. I also realized that they generally only make mounds of sand if they burrow in one place and come out a bit messy. Over break one day during that time I stayed up late and when I checked on the crabitat he was climbing on the top of the cage! Those crabs really like to mess with us... :roll:
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Yes the little stinkers really do LOVE messing with their owners don't they? :hlol: My crab Crusty stays buried for days at a time not even coming up to eat,drink,play.....nothing. On the other hand my crab Scuttle is like clock-work he's up and about at 10:30-11:00 and he's down at around 7a.m. every morning. :lol: They sure can be some crazy creatures sometimes but we still LOVE the little hermies. Good luck with your little guys, hope fully he comes out of his "shell" for you a little bit. lol
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
AirConditioner

Post by AirConditioner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 am

Update: Sorry I haven't answered anything! It turned out that he was indeed molting, it appears he regenerated the missing chunk of his leg as well so I think that's what he was doing, everything is good Leonardo is just fine