How Long is Too Long for a Molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
finleyfoo

How Long is Too Long for a Molt

Post by finleyfoo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi,
I've had a purple pincher, Bluey, since last August. She molted twice before and was down for a month each time. This time though, she has been down since March 30th, so over 2 months. I know not to dig up but a few days ago I lifted a wooden house up very carefully to have a look and she was right under it, having dug a sort of cave for herself. I just looked at her (her leg looked pale like after molting and I think she moved slightly) and carefully put the wooden house right back. I don't think I did any harm. Since then I have let her be. I don't smell any rotting smell (I check once or twice a week). Her heat is steady at about 79-81 and her humidity is about 85% so I think they are good. Her substrate is deep enough though she is not dug very far down (just under the wooden house).

But she is never coming up (food dish remains untouched, no tracks) and it seems like a long time! Prior to going down she was active on the surface, eating, moving around, climbing, etc. Should I just keep waiting patiently? She did do a lot of shell swapping before she went down and got into a shell that seemed a bit big for her. I am just anxious to have her back at the surface and eating again.

I have been refilling the food dish every week or so with dry food (from the Hermit Crab Patch). But when she is on the surface, I give her fresh food every couple of days.

Thanks!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How Long is Too Long for a Molt

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:58 pm

She’s likely just taking her time. I wouldn’t start to worry until the four-month mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:50 pm

Agree with Joe. Patience, grasshopper! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Ok, will continue to be patient! Just curious, why the 4 month mark?

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Mine has taken 3-4 months came up fine !!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm

finleyfoo wrote:Ok, will continue to be patient! Just curious, why the 4 month mark?
That’s just where most crabs start to max out, though some jumbos may take longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm

We have had crabs molt anywhere from 2-3 weeks for quarter sized up to 4 months for ones in Almost tennis ball sized shells. Large crabs can molt for around 8 months! They can also be sneaky and coming up at night to eat then hide by early morning. The best is to just ride it out and wait.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm

That's good to know cause I'm at the four month mark .. giving up hope .....but ok

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 am

Update: still no sighting of Bluey. She went under March 30th so we are approaching the 3 month mark. She is definitely not coming up at night because the food dish is untouched and there are no track marks. Still no bad smell though I think she is ok. Continuing to be patient...

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:53 pm

I'm with ya, I'm experiencing my first molt (though not the crabs first), and it's been a little over 2 months so far. It's been nerve-wracking! It feels like such a long time.

Best wishes to Bluey!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Mine is only 2 months, but my nerves are through the roof.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:15 pm

Don't know how big your Bluey is, but a while back I thought that Major Tom had not survived his molt, because he did not come up with the other two in the spring. He came up the NEXT spring--a full 18 months without a sign of him--just fine. So. . . yeah, welcome to the WAITING GAME. It might be a while.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton