Flukers Heat Mat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
bridgettbiologist

Flukers Heat Mat

Post by bridgettbiologist » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm about to purchase a 11x11 inch Flukers Premium Heat Mat for my 10 gallon tank. Is this brand reliable and can it be insulated? Also, would the 11x11 adequately heat my tank? The house temp drops to about 65 degrees in the winter.

Thanks for the help!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Flukers Heat Mat

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 pm

I used the same setup in my bedroom which drops to 60 degrees in winter, and had no complaints! Toasty warm 80 degrees in the tank all winter long. I insulated with a couple pieces of cardboard wrapped in foil, over the pad and on the lid.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:20 pm

@wodesorel - I have a question that doesn't really have anything to do with this topic. Sorry. But I know you're a reptile expert. My daughter has a banana ball python and her thermostat isn't working. She's in college and doesn't really have money for a herpstat, which she has heard is the best brand. Is there another, cheaper brand you can recommend? She of course wants digital. Thank you!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:@wodesorel - I have a question that doesn't really have anything to do with this topic. Sorry. But I know you're a reptile expert. My daughter has a banana ball python and her thermostat isn't working. She's in college and doesn't really have money for a herpstat, which she has heard is the best brand. Is there another, cheaper brand you can recommend? She of course wants digital. Thank you!
Thank you, but I'm still learning too!

Herpstat and Vivarium Electronics are the most recommended. I don't think any of the thermostat makers have a cheap digital unit though. The analogue dial versions are a lot less expensive and do work the same without all the extra bells and whistles. (I actually wish I had gone analogue because the digital displays are super bright and cannot be turned off.)

Have her try online classifieds, especially local Facebook reptile groups. I see cheap used equipment all the time up for grabs, and when someone makes a post needing something the community is usually really good about getting them what they are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:47 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm
Thank you, but I'm still learning too!

Herpstat and Vivarium Electronics are the most recommended. I don't think any of the thermostat makers have a cheap digital unit though. The analogue dial versions are a lot less expensive and do work the same without all the extra bells and whistles. (I actually wish I had gone analogue because the digital displays are super bright and cannot be turned off.)

Have her try online classifieds, especially local Facebook reptile groups. I see cheap used equipment all the time up for grabs, and when someone makes a post needing something the community is usually really good about getting them what they are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you so much. I've passed this on to her.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 am

Check out Inkbird. You should be able to buy it on Amazon. I bought one to control my heat tape. Super important to calibrate it though,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:47 pm
Thank you so much. I've passed this on to her.
She found one on facebook. Thank you for the suggestion. It was still $100 but almost brand new.

Topic author
bridgettbiologist

Post by bridgettbiologist » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Thank you wodesorel!