Bugs in sand

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
carrieaurquhart

Bugs in sand

Post by carrieaurquhart » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:34 am

I found 4 bugs in the sand this morning. I recently put a peice of moss in there and I'm sure that's where they came from. 3 of them are black beetle like things, and one looked more like a teeny worm. They were all under the water bowl. I'm planning to change out all the sand now, but in the meantime do you think those bugs will hurt them?

Also on a side note, my hermit crab let me touch one of his feelers this morning!! 😀

AwesomeHermit

Re: Bugs in sand

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:14 pm

can you post a picture of the bugs?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
carrieaurquhart

Post by carrieaurquhart » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 am

https://images.app.goo.gl/vkhZXKwFcGQSJycC9
It looks like this devils coach horse, except really small and doesn't have pinchers. I can't figure out what it is.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:30 pm

I think what you might have found was an earwig. Those like high humidity. Look up an earwig.

Edit: Okay, I'm sorry, I misunderstood. If under water bowl, looks like what you posted a picture of but DOESN'T have pinchers it might be a mealworm. Look at that.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
carrieaurquhart

Post by carrieaurquhart » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Yes that's probably it! I also saw a tiny worm in there so that makes since. Do you think they will hurt the crabs?