Hidden Preservatives in Fish Meals

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Hidden Preservatives in Fish Meals

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:03 am

The oils in fish meal have a bad habit of oxidation, which can create a risk of fires during transportation. In the U.S., Title 46 CFR § 148.265 requires all fish meals (including other seafood meals such as shrimp or krill, as the same risks apply) be treated with an antioxidant to prevent oxidation.

“At the time of production, fish meal or fish scrap must be treated with an effective antioxidant (at least 400 mg/kg (ppm) ethoxyquin, at least 1000 mg/kg (ppm) butylated hydroxy- toluene, or at least 1000 mg/kg (ppm) of tocopherol-based liquid antioxidant)... Fish meal or fish scrap must contain at least 100 mg/kg (ppm) of ethoxyquin or butylated hydroxy- toluene or at least 250 mg/kg (ppm) of tocopherol-based antioxidant at the time of shipment.”

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR ... 48-265.pdf

This is a friendly reminder to use caution when purchasing foods containing fish meal or other seafood meals.

(Note: many countries have similar regulations, however actual antioxidants required may vary.)

Edit: spelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by JoeHermits on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xenocrab

Re: Hidden Preservatives in Fish Meals

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:04 am

Wow! I had no idea. We buy our foods from members here. I wonder if they know. Now I wonder if the krill, plankton and anchovies we buy from pet stores and Walmart have those additives. Have we been accidentally feeding our crabs poison?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:33 pm

I’m not a lawyer, but they should be fine as long as they’re purchased whole or filleted.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Freeze dried fish and reptile food are treated with Vitamin E, which is a tocopherol.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:42 pm

This probably has to do with fertilizers. There are a lot of fish meals used for fertilizers
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:04 pm

It’s in animal foods, too. Even New Life Spectrum, a high end fish food producer, admits that their foods contain ethoxyquin.

http://nlsfishfood.com/nls-and-preservatives/

They admit that their Naturox series, created using Naturox-preserved ingredients in place of EQ, may still contain trace amounts of EQ as a result of cross-contamination, as seen in publicly available lab data published in 2017.

http://nlsfishfood.com/eqtests1/

I haven’t seen any more recent reports, so what the numbers look like now I’ve no idea (though likely also very low).

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Wow - that is crazy!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:38 pm

Well, we try our best to feed only organic. It's not always possible, but we try. And who knows what the crabbies eat in the wild. This planet is filled with toxins and poisons. It's sad. But, I'm sure we all spoil our claw babies as much as possible!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.