Music or nature sounds? Would it stress them?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Music or nature sounds? Would it stress them?

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:15 pm

This is going to sound like a super weird question but I figured it was worth asking. So I had the weird thought to play some night time tropical sounds for them tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xyUEVeJPO8
It made me wonder a couple of things.

1. Can they hear? If so how well?

2. Are there certain sounds that stress them out?

I don't know. I just thought they might feel a bit more comfortable if I played this for them at a low setting. Then again I'm just stressing for ways to make them feel comfortable in their new home. I redecorated and everything to make it seem more homey. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayroqoyyx68m7 ... 1.JPG?dl=0

I was just curious about how well they do with sound, and what sounds might stress them out.

The Crab Maid

Re: Music or nature sounds? Would it stress them?

Post by The Crab Maid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:26 pm

They don’t hear the way we hear, it’s more like they sense vibrations. Loud noises cause bigger vibrations, soft sounds won’t phase them. They may not even notice in their enclosure because it’ll block a chunk of vibration. Large vibrations might equal predators and cause stress, soft vibrations probably won’t change anything.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Re: Music or nature sounds? Would it stress them?

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:27 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:26 pm
They don’t hear the way we hear, it’s more like they sense vibrations. Loud noises cause bigger vibrations, soft sounds won’t phase them. They may not even notice in their enclosure because it’ll block a chunk of vibration. Large vibrations might equal predators and cause stress, soft vibrations probably won’t change anything.
Okay that's understandable. Thank you. ^w^