Freshly adopted! Additional considerations required?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:02 pm

I just adopted two crabs. For the two crabs, the lady told me they were both purple pinchers, but I think one's a purple pincher, and second is strawberry.

Name: Flower
Species: Purple Pincher (I think)
Claw length: 0.5"
(his shell is too big, but there's at least 5-6 of his size)

#2:
Name: Pebbles
Species: Strawberry (most likely - he's very big, very red, and very hairy looking)
Claw length: 1-1/4"
(he already switched from a thick looking murex to a moon shell within 30 min)

My question: should I adopt more crabs? The size difference is a little concerning for me. I remember reading that species should be kept in pairs.

If yes, what is the urgency? I don't particularly want to get them from a pet store, but I will if super important. I know the Big Al's has straws, and PetsMart has purple pinchers. My ads for local adopts has been up for a month, and today's adoption was the only one that panned out.

Side concerns:
1. Pebbles and Flower are quite active. After Pebbles found his new shell, he's going going from the salt to freshwater to exploring, even bopped his head a few times trying to squeeze between the hamster wheel and the ground. I think Flower is just trying to find a good hiding place. He went into the PVC pipe, under the left side driftwood, around, and under the hamster wheel. I thought after moving to a new tank they usually burrow to de-stress.

2. I'm not sure if I need to move the water containers more into the middle of the tank. There's currently not enough room for Pebbles to go around the front of the water pools as there's only 0.5" space; he'll need to go around, in which about 1" space.

3. I set out spinach, dried bloodworms, piece of cuttlebone and honey. Is that an okay welcome meal? I was thinking tomorrow will be barley, spinach, egg, a cherry, and tomatoes. (update: Pebbles seems to really like honey)

The Crab Maid

Re: Freshly adopted! Additional considerations required?

Post by The Crab Maid » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:08 am

Two is plenty to start with. And you’ll probably see a spike of hermits needing homes when the new school year nears.

Edit: I should ask if you’re keeping them together and if they get along too?

Water dishes sound fine, they’ll tank over just about anything. Only worry if they can’t get in or out, or if they get stuck.

Sounds like a good meal. :crabbigsmile:
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 pm

The limiting factor for number of crabs is your crabitat size and size of the crabs. The bigger the crab the more space needed. 5 gallons per crab is recommended for purple pinchers. Strawberries and other exocitcs 10 gallons per crab is recommended. How gallons is your current set up?

It wouldn't hurt to move the water pools away from the glass to allow more room for the crabs to get around them. Are your pools burried into the sand or are they above the surface?

Having various sized crabs is actually good. It cuts down on competition for similar shell sizes. That reduces the risk of crabs shell locking forcing another crab out of their shell.

Is there any way you can upload some pictures of your crabs? The Taptalk app for your phone is the easiest method for this. Purples come in all colors, dark purple, almost black, to being almost pink. If you do infact have a strawberry you will need to offer lots of fruits and veggies that offer lots of collor enhancement for them to maintain their color.

Be sure to check out the caresheet about purple pinchers, strawberries, and tank sizes to get a better understanding.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:08 am
Two is plenty to start with. And you’ll probably see a spike of hermits needing homes when the new school year nears.

Edit: I should ask if you’re keeping them together and if they get along too?
I got them together as a pair. I watched them for a few hours, and they seemed to get along, as much as.. them doing their own things... mean for getting along. I'll keep a look out for local ads!
Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 pm
The limiting factor for number of crabs is your crabitat size and size of the crabs. The bigger the crab the more space needed. 5 gallons per crab is recommended for purple pinchers. Strawberries and other exocitcs 10 gallons per crab is recommended. How gallons is your current set up?

It wouldn't hurt to move the water pools away from the glass to allow more room for the crabs to get around them. Are your pools burried into the sand or are they above the surface?

Having various sized crabs is actually good. It cuts down on competition for similar shell sizes. That reduces the risk of crabs shell locking forcing another crab out of their shell.

Is there any way you can upload some pictures of your crabs? The Taptalk app for your phone is the easiest method for this. Purples come in all colors, dark purple, almost black, to being almost pink. If you do infact have a strawberry you will need to offer lots of fruits and veggies that offer lots of collor enhancement for them to maintain their color.

Be sure to check out the caresheet about purple pinchers, strawberries, and tank sizes to get a better understanding.
My crabitat is 50 gals, with sand 9.5" deep. My crabitat is in my signature (or link here). Pools are buried, and double container'd. I'll move the containers over, and take some photos of them when they're active again.

I'll be honest... I never intended to adopt strawberries as they are so large, shells so expensive, and needs greater than PPs...

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Although straws need a bit more attention than Purples I don't find them any more difficult than other crabs. Once you understand their needs they are easy. My straws have been doing fine for nearly a year now, a year at the end of July. Proper diet, color boosting foods, deep water pools and tank conditions are key. I was pretty paranoid with them for the first 6 months thinking everything I would do would kill them. So far, so good.

I order my color boosting powders off Cholla Queen on Etsy. They are a bit pricey compared to other foods but they last a long time. The Healthy Hermit is another great place to order all other random foods. The Healthy Hermit is run by Gotbutterflies. She is awesome. The only thing I would steer clear of are her free Isopods! They are super healthy and multiply like crazy!

I know what you mean with the price of shells. Once you get above 1" openings they get expensive quick! Once you get above 1-1/2" opening you need to take out a small loan! You can find fairly inexpensive shells on eBay and Etsy if you know what you are looking for. Generally $1-3 cheaper than online shell shops depending on the type.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Strawberries are definitely very pretty. :crabblush:

I think you’re doing great.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:42 pm

Here's a photo of the two crabs! Pebbles is currently munching on a shrimp shell, and flower hides every time it sees me. ImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am

Pebbles is a purple pincher, s/he has very beautiful coloring! Make sure to keep calcium in for them at all times, you can leave your cuttlebone in there all the time.
Edit: Your tank looks amazing!