Heat/humidity..

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Sarah128

Heat/humidity..

Post by Sarah128 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:18 pm

Is there a such thing as to much humidity.. I'm kind of worried.. we just set the tank up today and it has been sitting atop just looked and it's at 95..

we also found find a heat pad today.. so it's been sitting at 70.. we just wrapped a human heat pad around one side and a crab is sitting literally leaned against the glass.. I KNOW he is cold but could the glass burn him? He will move once he gets warm... right?

First night in a semi correct tank (from previous critter keeper) thanks to an amazing member here for helping my daughters fair ♡

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heat/humidity..

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 pm

In newly set up tanks, humidity can fluctuate until everything has stabilised. So you may find after the next couple of weeks, it will mellow down again. Regardless, high humidity is usually fine and at most will likely encourage mould growth.

If you ever have rather stable humidity (80-85%) and then it jumps up to 95+% it can signal that your tank has flooded.

Heads up, human heat mats are best not used long term as they pose a fire risk. Being next to the glass is fine, it doesn't run hot enough to burn them....and as for moving, yes...he will move when he is warm enough.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Sarah128

Post by Sarah128 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:50 am

aussieJJDude wrote:In newly set up tanks, humidity can fluctuate until everything has stabilised. So you may find after the next couple of weeks, it will mellow down again. Regardless, high humidity is usually fine and at most will likely encourage mould growth.

If you ever have rather stable humidity (80-85%) and then it jumps up to 95+% it can signal that your tank has flooded.

Heads up, human heat mats are best not used long term as they pose a fire risk. Being next to the glass is fine, it doesn't run hot enough to burn them....and as for moving, yes...he will move when he is warm enough.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
What could I use temporary that is not a fire hazard? The temperature actually dropped even more and I had it wrapped 2x with blankets.. (it gets to 90* out side in the day time but it gets cool at night)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:12 am

Are you ordering a UTH?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Sarah128

Post by Sarah128 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am

curlysister wrote:Are you ordering a UTH?
Yes.. but it's going to be at least a week with shipping..

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:21 pm

The heat pad will be a fine temporary thing til your UTH gets there. Keep it on low, monitor it, lean it against the glass but don't trap it against a wall or anything (let it "breath" so to speak) and monitor the heat. It can be a fire hazard, but that's pretty rare. Does it have different heat settings? And is it a type that shuts itself off automatically? Low heat is fine but you will have to watch the heat if it switches itself off.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)