Covers for your Tank.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
M.trangtnguyen

Covers for your Tank.

Post by M.trangtnguyen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am

I am wonder what everyone is using to cover the top of their tanks to help keep the humidity in.

My husband just cut a piece of polycarbonate for the tank, should we put holes in it? I want to make sure their environment stays humid enough and they are getting enough air flow.

Thanks

amandapri82

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by amandapri82 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am

M.trangtnguyen wrote:I am wonder what everyone is using to cover the top of their tanks to help keep the humidity in.

My husband just cut a piece of polycarbonate for the tank, should we put holes in it? I want to make sure their environment stays humid enough and they are getting enough air flow.

Thanks
Following

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:49 am

My current tank has a plexi glass lid. My previous two tanks, I just used saran wrap over the top. It's okay for it to cover the whole lid, they get enough air flow when we open the tank to replace food and water every day or two.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50 am

That's plexi glass, right? No need to cut holes in it. They get enough air when you feed them every couple of days. Do you have a gauge for temp and humidity?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
M.trangtnguyen

Post by M.trangtnguyen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:04 am

curlysister wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:49 am
My current tank has a plexi glass lid. My previous two tanks, I just used saran wrap over the top. It's okay for it to cover the whole lid, they get enough air flow when we open the tank to replace food and water every day or two.
Thank you

Topic author
M.trangtnguyen

Post by M.trangtnguyen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:05 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50 am
That's plexi glass, right? No need to cut holes in it. They get enough air when you feed them every couple of days. Do you have a gauge for temp and humidity?
Thank you. Yes I do have have a gauge.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:14 pm

I have glass lids on all of mine.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:33 pm

I have a screen lid, and covering that is a double layer of cardboard, wrapped in foil, wrapped in a beach pattern fabric so it looks pretty, and then wrapped in thick clear plastic to protect from moisture and my cats. Helps to hold both heat and humidity in the tank, and it's a little puffy so it's the favorite cat bed in the house, too. Was thinking of redoing it with a little stuffing next time. 😂
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 am

wodesorel wrote:I have a screen lid, and covering that is a double layer of cardboard, wrapped in foil, wrapped in a beach pattern fabric so it looks pretty, and then wrapped in thick clear plastic to protect from moisture and my cats. Helps to hold both heat and humidity in the tank, and it's a little puffy so it's the favorite cat bed in the house, too. Was thinking of redoing it with a little stuffing next time. Image
How cute is that?! I want a picture! Lol Image pretty please?

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:52 am

Plus the weight of the cat on top will keep the crabs from escaping!

We use glass lids on all our tanks. I think they are well worth the investment.

I also use a plexiglass top on half of my 75. There is a large diameter hole in the center. I use that for the UVB bulb so there is nothing blocking the ray's. It works fine from late spring through early fall when the humidity in the house is high. When it's winter I need to go back to glass tops on both sides.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I have glass pieces that slide over each other. Withy tank being 4 ft long, I have 2 sets of sliding glass lids to prevent too much humidity from escaping while changing food/water, etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

jvs1120

Post by jvs1120 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:06 am

Glad Wrap, Press and Seal, works great! I leave a little space for airflow even though they say you don’t need to. I’m hoping that it will cut down on mold growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk